XPS 630 strange beep code

Haole Boy

Reaction score
Aloha,

I'm working on a Dell XPS 630. When powered on, there is 1 long (20 seconds) beep, followed by 2 short (5 seconds) beeps. I've been searching trying to find some sort of explanation of what these codes might mean, but have not come up with anything. The Dell user manual does not mention a 1 long, 2 short sequence.

In my experience, the long beeps are usually a couple of seconds, is there any significance to the length of time involved with these beeps?

There is no video output. I've tried different video cards with no change in symptoms. Fans spin. I'm mystified.

Mahalo for your assistance,

Harry Z.

Googled around, sounds like a video issue, fits with you getting no video. Motherboard is toast, test the CPU and ram on another board to verify they are good.

Googled around, sounds like a video issue, fits with you getting no video. Motherboard is toast, test the CPU and ram on another board to verify they are good.

Thanx for the info. This motherboard (OPP150) has two video slots so I've tried two different video cards in each slot (one at a time) with no change in symptoms. Since I'm using video cards and not any built-into-the-motherboard video does this still sound like a motherboard problem?

Unfortunately, I have no way to test the CPU or the RAM in another system.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

Have you tried different RAM Module(s)?

Sorry it took a while to get back to you on this, been distracted by "life events" and other emergencies.

Mahalo (thank you) for suggesting the RAM cards. I pulled them all and got the (expected) 1-1-1 beep code. Put them back in and now it boots! I did have one hiccup in this process for which I'll start a new thread.

Mahalo,

Harry Z.

Back