[REQUEST] Wireless Internal IP Camera

Mike McCall

Reaction score
I'm looking for an inexpensive (I know) wireless IP camera for internal use. So far, all I can find are the cheap ones on Amazon. Most of those either fail quickly or don't work at all. I ordered one from Foscam and promptly returned it as there was almost nothing that worked as it was supposed to. I want it to be wireless as I don't want to run cable through a 110-year old home. Also, I don't want to have to mount it on a wall or ceiling for the same reason. So, what are you using?

I have a Ubiquiti UVC-Micro in our server room, I think it was around 80 bucks.
Oddly enough, some article I stumbled on the other day had a review of inexpensive cameras for home, and it had a Wyze camera in the review. $19.99 per camera. Yup...under 20 bucks per camera! Must be junk, right? Well...the article gave it a half decent review, esp for 20 bucks per!

https://www.wyzecam.com/

No local NVR, though I just saw on forums a thread about standard integration (like Blue Iris) on the road map.
Currently it's just 14x days of FREE cloud storage. The people who started Wyze cameras are ex Amazon employees.

I have a Ubiquiti UVC-Micro in our server room, I think it was around 80 bucks.
Oddly enough, some article I stumbled on the other day had a review of inexpensive cameras for home, and it had a Wyze camera in the review. $19.99 per camera. Yup...under 20 bucks per camera! Must be junk, right? Well...the article gave it a half decent review, esp for 20 bucks per!

https://www.wyzecam.com/

No local NVR, though I just saw on forums a thread about standard integration (like Blue Iris) on the road map.
Currently it's just 14x days of FREE cloud storage. The people who started Wyze cameras are ex Amazon employees.
I looked at the UVC-Micro (apparently discontinued) and also a couple others in the UBNT website. I don't currently have a distributor for their products, so I'd be looking at Amazon, which looks to be about $20 higher than MSRP.

Yeah, I had seen the Wyzecam previously but dismissed it as it doesn't allow local storage. My plan was to use SurveylanceStation in my Synology. However, for the price I really should give this a try. Apparently, there are a couple hacks to enable it to work with my Synology.

I think it has local storage..a micro SD card, thought I saw that. Could be wrong. Either way, looks like both you and I might give this cheap little thing a shot. I may get one just for my boat.
I just ordered the Pan which will arrive tomorrow. Look below for a firmware hack which allows you to connect the V2 to a Synology or similar device for storage.

https://openip.cam/

I've heard the Wyze cam highly recommended by other techs.

When I looked in to it, it is of course a rebrand of Chinese product. It looked like someone made a firmware hack for the Chinese version to work with NVRs

I've got a few Foscams. Big bang for the buck and never had a problem. Dead simple to configure on my network. I'm impressed with the distance of the night time IR.

I've got a few Foscams. Big bang for the buck and never had a problem. Dead simple to configure on my network. I'm impressed with the distance of the night time IR.
Had a Foscam...briefly. They seem to have QC issues. Perhaps I got a bad one, but I wasn't impressed.

If we're talking proprietary cloud-based stuff then Zmodo is dead simple and cheap. Set up a few first cameras people bought and then they've called me back to add another 3 or 4. I said cheap, right? Not what I would use but they love them.

Back