Wiped and Reloaded an IPAD - Login Issue

coffee

Reaction score
First off, I do not really use Apple products so my knowledge is scant. With that in mind, I did a digitizer screen replacement for a client on an IPAD A1475 and after I was done I booted it up and it said it was disabled for a million minutes or whatever. So, I did a wipe and reload with the latest IO for the IPAD. This went very well and it came up to the welcome screen. I didnt go any further because I figure the customer will set it up with their info.

Customer mentioned to me that when they turn it on its asking for an icloud ID. They do not remember having one as the screen was basically broke shortly after they got it and its been about a year.

How does one get around this issue?

Thanks,
coffee

I've got several clients with ipads from deceased relatives. No receipts, no passwords, no account details = expensive paperweights.

No kidding??

They are the original owners. I dont know if they have the original sales receipts. I kinda doubt it. I guess they can talk to the apple store what ever good that will do.

Typically, an iCloud ID is going to be their usual email address (though not always) and will be the same as their Apple ID, so if they know their own email address, they can hopefully login to iCloud from a Mac or Windows computer and, if they don't know the relevant password, follow the instructions to carry out a reset - after which, they know both the ID and the password.

Truth is, resetting clients' passwords is the bane of my life because no two organisations have the same method and, with those which use "Memorable" answers, the clients' often don't even know what those answers are - or have forgotten how to spell them.

If all else fails, it is sometimes possible, with Apple, to go along to an Apple store (with plenty of your own ID - though I guess, in the USA, stores are likely to be very many miles away) and get them to sort out the problem.

It goes against all best practice but I now buy every now and then a stack of A6 address books from Amazon (dirt cheap) and just give them to those clients who habitually have problems remembering passwords. I tell the clients to put the passwords in the little book and find somewhere out of the way to hide it.

I know I shouldn't but it's better than what too many people do - have innumberable bits of paper on which they write passwords , though frequently without updating them or knowing where those bits of paper are "at this moment".

Apple has significantly increased client security made life more difficult for their iOS customers. Just had to deal with one week before last. They no longer even allow any resets via email. You have to have another associated device or do the identity proof thing which can take days.

Reactions: GTP
I've had clients who can successfully show proof of ownership get apple to remove it. Short of that your stuck.

You used to be able to do a hard reset of the device and bypass it but I haven't tried it in about a year or so

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Sod's Law is all pervasive!

Literally minutes after my last posting, a client turned up who I'd not see since 2015, when the problem he'd had was trying to regain access to Facebook on an unbranded tablet - something I'd fixed four months earlier on that and another tablet.

Today, the problem was just the same - but with an iPad.

Oh, and he'd also forgotten his Gmail password and his Apple ID password.

"D'oh!"

Well, the Gmail and Apple accounts were linked to his mobile phone, which he'd not brought along.

Double "D'oh!"

So off he went back home to get the phone.

On his return, I sorted out Gmail easily, likewise Apple but Facebook (which, it later turned out, was also linked to his mobile phone) was a whole lot more problematic and I don't think we'll know before Monday (day after tomorrow) if my efforts were effective.

I tried three ways of getting him back into Facebook.

First thing was for him to select, from a list of names, various people pictured in his Facebook-related comms.

He couldn't identify a single one and, at that point, I realised he needed reading glasses and had brought none.

Treble "D'oh!"

I'd like to be able to say that I always have a pair handy for just such an occasion but that would be economical with the truth.

Mind you, if my wife didn't need reading glasses and didn't always have a pair somewhere nearby, I doubtless would invest.

So, wearing my wife's, rather fetching, reading glasses, he looked again at the images and after quite a long while admitted that he didn't know the names of any of the people pictured.

Quadruple "D'oh!"

Tried another method - picking from a list of contacts five whom he'd messaged [chatted with?] in the last two weeks.

He picked five relatively quickly (relatively is a relative word) but turns out that, in fact, he'd had comms with none of the people listed in the last two weeks. He wasn't even sure when Facebook had kicked him off!

Quintuple "D'oh!"*
[* Thanks to Quora for this and any subsequent 'uples']

Finally got round to trying a reset via his phone only to realise [thanks to Google] that the reason that hadn't worked - though the reset code appeared to be accepted - is because there would be a delay of 24hr+ before the account would become available again.

Sextuple "D'oh!"

I am, of course, expecting to hear from the client again on Monday, telling me that he still can't get into Facebook.

Did I say earlier that passwords are the bane of my life?

Sorry, I must try not to exaggerate in future.

I walked away from Facebook a few months back when the big political scandal hit but had never been much of a fan.

For that reason - and its pain-in-the-behind problems regaining access - I really must try to convince all my clients to give it the push.

UPDATE - August 21, 2018

Turns out that what was stopping the resurrection of the Facebook account was the final step.

This involves you being presented with a list of commercial postings.

So the client (actually me with him looking over my should) had to choose which to delete that were NOT the client's own.

There was around 60 of these and if you try to delete them, then you get stuck.

You could wait until the end of time.

That's because ALL of them were made by the client.

But there is no option to skip this step!

However, it is possible not to delete any - trouble it's not easy.

There is no "all" button and each page scroll only shows three items, so it takes an age to untick all the items if, like the client, there are lots of them.

What a totally stupid way of doing things.

Be nice to think that a company that makes billions from the web could have done a whole lot better but, hey, they're going to go down the tubes (with luck), so they're probably not worrying about things like interface design or helping their customers, just conserving cash.

Astonishingly, there is no phone number to call and no live chat alternative.

Last edited:
Threads like this is why I decided not to bother with Tablets and Phones. I stick with Windows and wont have to worry about perfectly good hardware being bricked like this.

Apple intentionally makes this process overly difficult because it sells tablets. Google will at least fall back to SMS which isn't terribly good for many reasons, but you can usually get back in and from there restore a device.

But yeah give me my desktop, that logs in WITHOUT a cloud integrated account... thanks I'm good.

Coming from the land of Linux all this is actually quite strange to me. Its always nice to buy 500 dollar or more apple products and have them go obsolete on you via a forgotten password. That is just wicked bad.

Now my other issue with another client is another fun subject - quit texting me and call me. I want to discuss the repair of your computer! I need a voice phone call from you!! NO its not ready. Im waiting to talk voice to you. What is the matter with this world????

My gosh, If they were locked out of their iphone how would these types of people even communicate????

Ugh yes the texting thing drives me nuts too. I'm not even going to try having a technical conversation via text. It's just flat too hard to type, the speech to text stuff screws it all up... no... just TALK TO ME. If your rig isn't important enough for 10min on the phone then it's not important enough to pay someone to fix it.

Back