Windows Repair Toolbox

Hi TechPJC,

I've just tried R-Updater (Portable) in a VM and unfortunately had a bad experience with it.

I've installed a older version off Ccleaner (4.1.8) and ran R-Updater. It identifies correctly that this is an old version that needs to be updated. But when i press the "update" button it opens the browser offering a direct link to 3.0.0 (and that's wrong, because the current version is 5.0.2), a link to the product page, and a link to a google search. I've tried also with an older version of VLC Player (1.1.11), but again R-Updater offers a download link to a wrong version (1.1.5.0) - the current one is 2.1.5.

So i'll prefer to skip this one and keep PatchMyPC in the toolbox. Anyway all suggestions to add or replace software are very much welcome!

Thanks.

Thanks TechPJC.

I haven't tried that one yet.

Do you think is better than PatchMyPC that's already included in the toolbox? (in "Useful Tools", in the first tab)? I would prefer to only have one update checker utility in the toolbox, to avoid unnecessary duplication. I'll try it in a VM.

Thanks!

Hi all, today i released the first update of Windows Repair Toolbox.

Version 1.0.0.1 BETA:

- A portable version of the software is now available;

- Added a command line parameter (/m) that will run WRT in "minimal mode" (hardware monitors and visual styles disabled). This might be useful in order to improve performance when working in older machines heavily infected. This option can also be enabled in the"Settings" tab;

- Fixed a flaw in the "Unattended Fix" that will let the process continue in background even though the cancel button was clicked;

- The uninstaller now also removes the .config file that stores WRT data. This means that the notes written by the user in the "Notes" tab, checkboxes checked and settings selected will persist across application restarts and system reboots, but they will be removed upon the software uninstall. Regarding the portable version, the application settings are only stored while WRT is open.

- Added a "Donate" button in the "About" tab for those who would like to support this project;

- Some other minor improvements and fixes.

Thank you all for you interest, i'll try to keep up with this project, please keep coming with the suggestions and bug reports!

Wanted to add an updated. Threw some malware on a test machine. Loaded up some junkware apps and gave it another run with the portable version. Cleaned up everything nicely. Deff will start using this a little more now. Especially on site and remote jobs. I am trying to tweak Unattended mode more to my liking. But so far so good!

Thanks for making it portable. The app is looking pretty good.

MrFixit for some reason doesn't support broken Windows 8 update. So I have a small script to fix it.

DISM.exe /Online / Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online / Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
wuauclt /ShowWUAutoScan (you might as well run and see it you can get the update)

For something like this, It would be nice to have another Tab label Custom Script. the will call script1.cmd, script2.cmd etc.
We will be responsible to write our own script. The first line on the script could be a rem that can be use to label the button.

Or we can send you our script and you built it in on the program.

Thank you all for your feedback so far!

I've been receiving good suggestions from here and through email. Most of them are are in order to include some software, or to allow further customization of the tool, and i'll try to address that in upcoming releases.

@rsarceno
One of the features i want to add should somehow allow what you're trying to achieve. I don't want to give more details upfront, because all i have so far are ideas, and i don't want to create expectations i might not be able to fulfill...

Thanks!

Hi all,

some of the downloads links in the software are broken, as a result of a change in the download portal they rely (freewarefiles.com). I'm working on that in this moment. Also in the next version of wrt the download links will no longer be hard-coded in the software, but will be independently updated through a definitions file.

Thank you for your patience!

Great program - thx for doing this, very much appreciated.
The broken download links you mention - does that cause the "could not read block - data error" message on ccleaner when you try to run the unattended fix?

Hi Pauley, thank you!

Yes, that's the cause. I'm working on that right now and i'll update as soon as possible.

Hi all,

i already updated WRT in order to face the broken links problem, and also to introduce some changes. Unfortunately this release had to be rushed in order to solve that immediate problem with the links, so it doesn't include everything i would like to add or fix. I'm sorry in advance for any eventual errors that i might have not seen.

Version 1.0.0.2 BETA:

- The download links are no longer hard-coded in the program, they are now independently updated through a definitions file (automatically at the program's startup, if there's an internet connection, or manually, through the "update" button in the settings tab).

- Some improvements to the unattended fix process, the most relevant being the fact that while previously a break in the internet connection at any time would automatically cancel the entire process, now that won´t happen if the necessary downloads have already been completed, and therefore the process is already in the scanning part.

- In the Tools tab: replaced Paragon Backup & Recovery Free with FastCopy; replaced HDD Scan with GSmartControl.

- In Final Tests tab: the "Flash Player" button no longer opens YouTube since it now defaults to using HTML5; fixed the "SSL Test" link.

- Some other minor improvements and fixes.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks Alex! I see that you now added the gSmartcontrol like I was asking previously! I just saw your tool review on Britec and he will do a follow up for a more in depth with the tool being in action. Very nice!

Thanks Alex! I see that you now added the gSmartcontrol like I was asking previously! I just saw your tool review on Britec and he will do a follow up for a more in depth with the tool being in action. Very nice!

Yes, thank you for the suggestion! :) I was not aware that gSmartcontrol was available for Windows.

I've saw the Britec review yesterday, and i must say i was surprised that he ever heard about this tool! It felt really good to see my software reviewed by him. However the review he does about the functioning of the "unattended fix" feature is not correct, and i should add more information about it to the tool.

As it works now, the unattended fix button will run:
- Don't sleep;
- TDSS Killer;
- Vipre Rescue Scanner;
- Microsoft Safety Scanner;
- Emsisoft Emergency Kit;
- Ccleaner;
- Windows Repair AIO (optional, from settings)
- Defraggler -quick defrag- (optional, from settings)

The checkboxes are just a way for the user and other people that might be working in fixing in the same machine (like in a workbench), to keep track of what tools have already been executed.

From the settings it's possible to choose between smart scan (that will run the quick scans of the above anti-malware applications) and full scan (that will run the full scans). It's also possible to configure a email account where to receive a email containing the logs as soon as the process ends, provided that there's an internet connection at the moment the process ends.

Options to give a much more granular control over the unattended fix, and also to allow further customization of the tool, are for sure in my to do list, although my priority right now is to do my best to squash bugs and to make the tool as stable and useful as possible (while keeping it small, simple and focused in the most common needs).

All the feedback is very much welcome!

Yes, thank you for the suggestion! :) I was not aware that gSmartcontrol was available for Windows.

I've saw the Britec review yesterday, and i must say i was surprised that he ever heard about this tool! It felt really good to see my software reviewed by him. However the review he does about the functioning of the "unattended fix" feature is not correct, and i should add more information about it to the tool.

As it works now, the unattended fix button will run:
- Don't sleep;
- TDSS Killer;
- Vipre Rescue Scanner;
- Microsoft Safety Scanner;
- Emsisoft Emergency Kit;
- Ccleaner;
- Windows Repair AIO (optional, from settings)
- Defraggler -quick defrag- (optional, from settings)

The checkboxes are just a way for the user and other people that might be working in fixing in the same machine (like in a workbench), to keep track of what tools have already been executed.

From the settings it's possible to choose between smart scan (that will run the quick scans of the above anti-malware applications) and full scan (that will run the full scans). It's also possible to configure a email account where to receive a email containing the logs as soon as the process ends, provided that there's an internet connection at the moment the process ends.

Options to give a much more granular control over the unattended fix, and also to allow further customization of the tool, are for sure in my to do list, although my priority right now is to do my best to squash bugs and to make the tool as stable and useful as possible (while keeping it small, simple and focused in the most common needs).

All the feedback is very much welcome!

That was the one thing I was going to contact you about. The unattended mode. I been messing with but was wondering how it would generate a log. I hadn't setup the email yet since I have been doing it on a test environment but I am going to do that now. So far the performance and stability has been good on my end.

That was the one thing I was going to contact you about. The unattended mode. I been messing with but was wondering how it would generate a log. I hadn't setup the email yet since I have been doing it on a test environment but I am going to do that now. So far the performance and stability has been good on my end.

The log file is written during the progress of the unattended fix, and in the end it will be zipped together with the generated logs of the antimalware tools. That .zip file is then placed in the desktop (it's called Unattended_Fix_Logs.zip), and if you have email settings configured and there's an active internet connection, it will also be emailed to you. Please let me know if you have further questions, and i hope it will work fine for you!

Back