Windows Mail App partially syncing

Something's really, really off here.

If they were using POP, all storage long term should be local (as in on their machine) only. Every message that gets downloaded is purged somewhere between immediately afterward or a short time afterward UNLESS someone went in and tweaked POP settings to prevent this. The Sent folder should be local.

You have never said who the email service provider is, but it's a virtual certainty that they have a webmail interface. You really need to log in to this account via webmail to see "what's what" on the server side as the provider is seeing it. It's the only way (or only easy way) you are going to be able to accurately assess what the storage situation actually is.
It's uniserve, and yes, they have a webmail interface.

It's uniserve, and yes, they have a webmail interface.
In their webmail, it's the same as what I'm seeing in outlook. I used a converter from a company called stellarinfo to convert mail to PST. Had to pay for it. Contacted the company and waiting to hear back from their tech support as to why a bunch of the emails are saying from "demo" where there should be a name or nobody@invalid.invalid. I checked online and there are no bad reviews or suggestions that they are a scam. I talked to one of their techs on the phone and they weren't able to help but are escalating it for me. I'm waiting to hear from Uniserve about the "exceeded storage limit" and sending but not receiving. This is turning into a nightmare.

This is turning into a nightmare.

You might seriously suggest to your client that the time has come to look for another email service provider. I'd bet dollars to donuts that this sort of mess will occur again as it's so bizarre that it never should have happened in the first place.

I do wish you the best of luck in getting this all sorted out if that's all the client will consider. I would have thrown up my hands a while back.

@JohnDoe1980 If you're still having issues, this is what I think is going on. '

2 things...

At one time, the IMAP folders were unsubscribed and that might be why nothing is showing up. Typical behavior with email programs. You will need to setup the account in Outlook, query the folders and check them again. Everything should show up.

POP setup only does inbox/sent, etc. I read you set it up that way, try removing and adding IMAP

Anyone else had problems adding iCloud email accounts to the Windows Mail app? Last week I tried it for a customer and it synced some emails in the Inbox then got an error and refused to work from then on. App-specific password didn't help (not with the iCloud auto-setup option anyway, didn't try manually finding and entering imap settings because the customer was picking up their laptop and had already paid).

The add-account screen lets you choose iCloud as the account type but the app obviously isn't supplying the right settings. A 0auth page doesn't pop up for authentication like you get with Gmail, I suspect that's the problem. Apple must have changed the security requirements and Microsoft hasn't updated the app.

Yes that's what I got too.

Same thing happened about 3 months ago trying to set up an iCloud account in Mail. Microsoft still hasn't fixed it...

So... I finally got it all sorted out. I spoke with the email service provider and they advised me to set up the clients email using POP. That way things aren't pushed to the server which had reached it's storage capacity and exceeded it (50MB lol). I had a hell of a time doing that but eventually got it working after removing and re-adding the account in Outlook. Then I ported over the emails/folders once again with the Stellar software and for some reason, this time, I didn't get a bunch of emails saying "demo". No idea why it worked this time. Exported/Imported contacts over. Checked to see email was sending and receiving. It was. Finally done this job. I'm happy to have this be over.

All I can say is that you had better hope that this user never wants to access their email anywhere but on that device. POP is madness in this day and age for anyone who accesses email from multiple devices, which is most people, though not all.
I understand that. The client has her email on her tablet and it seems to be working fine.

I understand that. The client has her email on her tablet and it seems to be working fine.
Then, with respect, you don't understand how POP works or you are leaving the mail on the server as that's the only way more than one device can see the email with POP. So your comment about "That way things aren't pushed to the server which had reached it's storage capacity and exceeded it (50MB lol)." Is going to quickly happen again unless the user knows to delete mail off the server. This is going to blow up in your face...

So... I finally got it all sorted out.
Also with respect, no you didn't. You've done the first part.

In anything approaching an ideal world your next step would be to create a new email account with a decent amount of storage (I like Gmail for this - other providers are available) and set up automatic forwarding or collection from the old account, deleting the messages afterwards. Without that, all it takes is for a couple of large incoming messages to fill that 50MB mailbox before messages start bouncing.

The new account should be the only one directly visible to the user and must be set up with IMAP, of course.

Then, with respect, you don't understand how POP works or you are leaving the mail on the server as that's the only way more than one device can see the email with POP. So your comment about "That way things aren't pushed to the server which had reached it's storage capacity and exceeded it (50MB lol)." Is going to quickly happen again unless the user knows to delete mail off the server. This is going to blow up in your face...
Ok, good to know. Thanks. Yes I am sort of new to this. It's a learning experience.

Email services have limits to storage. Keep that in mind when working with clients.

In addition, teach clients to keep this in mind, and to clean up after themselves with email just like they do with real mail. Junk gets promptly tossed, other material gets tossed after being read (and, possibly, acted upon). Precious little gets saved forever, like love letters or business letters of certain kinds once did.

Back