Windows 7 shut down issue

numnutz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

havent been around in awhile my mom passed away and just had a bad time dealing. trying to get back to business slowly. I have a client using a Windows 7 64bit pro machine as a file share and they also share a network third party program with about 5 computers in an office. The PC is plugged into a battery backup device. At least twice over the last couple months the system is shutting down on its on apparently. I looked at the event logs and I found this info below, I looked online and found a link to microsoft which was of no help. I did do the usual virus scans and did a chkdsk and came up with no erorrs at all. any one have this happen and have a solution or a path to point me in would be very apprieciated. thanks

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2001061

Log Name: System
Source: USER32
Date: 7/29/2009 12:00:26 PM
Event ID: 1074
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: Computername\Administrator
Computer: Computername
Description:
The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe <computername> has initiated the power off of computer <computername> on behalf of user <computername>\Administrator for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x500ff
Shutdown Type: power off

correct they are not using any APC backup / shut down software just using it as a pure battery backup, surge protector device. thanks

You copied the event log entry from the KB article... I assume the reason code was the same? Do the timestamps show a pattern?

Was there anything else in the event log?

Yes everything other than the time stamp and computer name was the same. The event viewer didn't let me copy and paste. No other errors or warnings in the viewer just shows all services stopping one by one then it shut down

Believe it or not, could be a bad power supply. I'd try swapping the psu with a new one and see how it performs. Check for any swollen caps in the psu or on the board.

I'd have to agree with a possible PSU problem. Over the years, I have found that they can be one of the easiest or hardest problems to diagnose in a PC.

One thing I'd highly recommend is going to the motherboard manufacturer's website and ensure that the current power supply is certified to work with the motherboard.

I once had an issue where one of my personal PCs would not shut down completely after installing the motherboard manufacturer's SATA drivers. When powering the system down, it would reboot instead. The only way to actually power the unit off completely was to quickly push in on the power button, unplug it, or turn it off using the PSU switch as the BIOS began to post. After trying several installs and excluding every component but the motherboard and PSU, and getting the same results every time, I decided to switch out the PSU and it fixed the problem. Just to make sure it was the PSU, I placed the culprit PSU back into the PC and had the original problem again.

thanks guys for your replies, I have replaced Power supplies for similar issues of computers turning off on there own plenty of times. but without actually seeing this one do it, it seems its doing a system shut down, closing open programs and stopping services then shutting down. Not just turning off. I believe this PC has a 420Watt Antec power supply. not the best but not the cheapest one either. system is itself is about 19 months old so the power supply should still be in warranty and replacing it wouldnt be a big deal. Going to wait to see if it happens again. thanks!!!

just noticed I posted this in the wrong Forum sorry about that should have put it in the Windows forum. thanks

I 've never seen a power supply problem cause a computer to perform a proper shutdown sequence. His event log entry is showing that. Something commanded the system to shut down.

Really need to see the log entry. How come you couldn't save the log? You should be able to right click select copy as text and paste it into notepad. Should parse out as XML text file.

A faulty power supply can cause any number of intermittent issues from random system resets, parity check errors, overheating, shutting down randomly, system still turns on but bios check fails or freezes, hard drive errors, ram errors. Power supplies are the first thing I check when a system comes in with random intermittent issues like this. Just because the event viewer has been able to successfully capture an unexpected or scheduled shutdown event, doesn't mean it's software related. I'm always stressing to my techs and customers how vital a good power supply is. A lot of techs come in thinking a power supply only goes bad when the computer won't power on, this is far from accurate. At any rate, I'm not saying your issue is definitely a bad power supply, I'm only saying it's a likely culprit and should be ruled out.

Also, could be a corrupt system file. Try running chkdsk /r.

Last edited:
Back