Windows 7, can't go to any websites, any browser

wtigger

Reaction score
Windows 7 Home Premium SP-1, 64 bit...

Browsers:
IE 11
Firefox 20 (can't update it, can't get to Mozilla),
Chrome 37 (can't update because can't get to update site)

Can ping and get response, did CNN.COM and others

Resolves DNS when pinging (cnn.com is 157.166.226.26)

All network services running

SFC /SCANNOW detects no errors, did a surface scan of HDD, no bad blocks

System Restore no good, not many SR points, and farthest back is about a month ago. It failed anyway when I tried the oldest one.

Troubleshooting:

ipconfig/release
ipconfig/flushdns
ipconfig/renew
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset reset.log

rebooted the PC, didn't work

Examined Internet Options in Control Panel/Connections/Lan Settings, no proxy checked at all, all checkboxes empty

flushed all browser caches and cookies

Ran a few different Winsock repair programs and an LSP (layered service provider) repair program, no good

Go to a website, the tab title changes to the website but the page never loads, times out after a while, or server not available

Cleaned malware off the unit with MB and a few others... I know the malware is the cause of the network woes, not the first time I have seen this happen, but this one just refused to cooperate...

The unit has Bitdefender on it (paid version).. disabled it totally, no effect. Disabled Windows Firewall, no effect.

Googled this extensively, and cannot find any other solution outside of what I have already done... Any ideas out there? :)

Last edited:
Check the properties of the browser icons or shortcuts. See if an entry is added to the target program.

Well, got lucky this time :D

Ended up being the network card driver must have gotten corrupted/boinked by the malware. It was an older version from 2011, so I went to the website of the motherboard vendor and got the latest card driver dated 2014... Installed, reboot, and EUREKA!!!!!!!!! LOL it works, browsing is restored...

When you say it does work, what EXACTLY does happen? Blank screen? Timeout errors? Redirecting? 404?

You say you cleaned malware off of it. How? What programs did you use?

These days you have to use more than just Malware bytes.

When you say it does work, what EXACTLY does happen? Blank screen? Timeout errors? Redirecting? 404?

You say you cleaned malware off of it. How? What programs did you use?

These days you have to use more than just Malware bytes.

When the browser wouldn't go anywhere, it just got a blank window... Sometimes it would say server not available...

I used Malwarebytes, Combofix and the Norman Malware tool to clean. Those have been my best tools to date. They kill most everything... Norman also does some pretty good Rootkit scanning and cleaning too.

Add a few tools imo.

Rogue Killer
JRT(Junkware Removal Tool)
AdwCleaner

Since I started using these 3, not always, but many times these knock out a lot of what is going on from the get go.

Add a few tools imo.

Rogue Killer
JRT(Junkware Removal Tool)
AdwCleaner

Since I started using these 3, not always, but many times these knock out a lot of what is going on from the get go.

Haven't tried JRT yet :)

Have seen AdwCleaner online but wasn't sure if it was any good...

Only bad thing about JRT is that it gives you a dos style window and does not tell you exactly what it's song until it's done it. That said, it does seem effective.

Haven't tried JRT yet :)

Have seen AdwCleaner online but wasn't sure if it was any good...

They both have a good reputation here.

For us, we'll first run RKILL, then JRT and then AdwCleaner. After the reboot, we'll use AutoRuns to check for stragglers.

Only rarely will we need to go further, but if necessary: HitmanPro, MBAM and (if really desperate) ComboFix.

They both have a good reputation here.

For us, we'll first run RKILL, then JRT and then AdwCleaner. After the reboot, we'll use AutoRuns to check for stragglers.

Only rarely will we need to go further, but if necessary: HitmanPro, MBAM and (if really desperate) ComboFix.

Have you tried Norman Malware Cleaner? :) It's pretty intense... Like a bulldozer.. :)

Back