Windows 10 1703 Update- MBR error 3 MBR error 1

ClickRight

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have an Asus G73SW-XT1 in for repair. We replaced the hard drive as it was failing.

We had to recover the data to another drive, clone and then chkdsk before installing the new drive into the laptop.

Windows 10 worked great and we tuned up the machine and installed all updates except for the creator's update. Then we realized that we needed to resize the partitions. We did do with gparted, booted the machine back up, all good. Then the creator's update came through and we were met with an error on boot:

"MBR error 3
MBR error 1
Press any key to boot from floppy"

Checking the hard drive, the whole OS partition was hosed. Attempts to recover using Testdisk failed, so we re-cloned. This time, not resizing the partitions.

We let the Creator's update install and ... Exact same error :(

I'm at a loss.

I would tell the client/customer the truth about the situation and request their permission for a clean OS install with data transfer.

Just out of curiosity....
What are you using to do the clone?
First, I used Macrium. Next, I used clonezilla.

After discussing the issue with my client, he admitted he regretted ever installing Windows 10 in the first place and we will be reinstalling Windows 7 on this machine. Unfortunately, this means we will never know the cause of the MBR error with the Creator's update but it does solidify our recommendation to keep Windows 7 on all computers that originally came with it :)

but it does solidify our recommendation to keep Windows 7 on all computers that originally came with it :)

But wouldn't this issue be indicative of something other than Windows 10? Just pet-peeving here, but you can hardly blame Windows for a hard drive failure.

Be careful with Windows 7 now... support ended in 2015. January 2020 is the end of Extended support and then it's just another XP. That only gives a little over two years of use, and dwindling. That may be fine in this situation, but let your customers know. For right or for wrong, Windows 7 is insecure, period.

Be careful with Windows 7 now... support ended in 2015. January 2020 is the end of Extended support and then it's just another XP. That only gives a little over two years of use, and dwindling. That may be fine in this situation, but let your customers know. For right or for wrong, Windows 7 is insecure, period.
Good advice!

Wouldn't go back to Windows 7. If you had a clone, why didn't you just clean install in case something in the existing install was giving issues?

Back