Win11 Task Manager behavior

HCHTech

Reaction score
One of my commercial clients: no domain, and all workstations are running non-admin accounts. I was remoted in and wanted to use task manager to kill a crashed program. Got the prompt "To do this you must run task manager as an administrator" or something like that. When I did that, and provided the administrator credentials, I was greeted with the Windows 10-style task manager window, not the new look of Windows 11 task manager. Is the Win11 version just a skin over the Win10 version? I haven't noticed this behavior when using a machine where the user is a local administrator...

My guess is that it's got something to do with the environment setup via whatever remote tool you're using.

I just jumped over to the local account on this machine, and if I try to kill a process with Task Manager it gives me that same message. If I do a run as administrator, and give the PIN for the account with admin privileges, the only difference is that it opens with the dark color scheme (which is in use on the admin account itself) but in all other respects it's the same as it always is under Win11.

Back