Why do some companies DO this??

drjones

Reaction score
I am really grateful for the enormous number of awful IT companies out there....

Makes my job so much easier when my firm comes in, does a great job, installs quality hardware & software, and treats our clients like gold.

SO I met with a prospect; a law firm of about 8-10 people.

Their biggest complaint is network performance.

After chatting for a while, they give me the tour. All their equipment is newer, mostly Dell Optiplex, PE T410. Overall decent stuff....they'll need a few new computers here & there, but overall decent equipment.

I look in their server closet and first thing I look for (and of course my suspicions were right) is they've got a 10/100 switch - granted its a Cisco managed, but still - not Gig, AND plain ol' Cat5 - NOT 5e or 6 - patch cables feeding into it. The cable in the walls looks to be 5e/E, so that's ok....but seriously.....who installs a 10/100 switch with cat5 cable anymore??

I don't get why anyone would do that....but I guess I love it. Gonna drop in a Cisco GIG switch, new cables, QoS, they should see a substantial improvement in speed and performance overall.

Server's got 24GB RAM, it was pegged at about 98% usage....gotta figure out what's causing that....

Anyway, lots of room for improvement, just wonder why some companies are so careless/clueless.....guess they hate money! :D

I'm looking at another of my clients servers that runs Exchange 2007 (as does this prospect) and they're using 13.6GB out of 16....still high (85%) but that one I saw yesterday was like 98% RAM usage.

Yet another exchange box I'm looking at right now is at 81% usage.

Which from what I've read is exactly what exchange uses. It will "return" memory that's needed if and when it's needed by the system.

The 98% usage.. I dunno. I wouldn't panic, but check it out at least.

Which from what I've read is exactly what exchange uses. It will "return" memory that's needed if and when it's needed by the system.

The 98% usage.. I dunno. I wouldn't panic, but check it out at least.

Yeah, I'm not too worried, definitely not panicked, I just don't think it's ideal.

The server is slower than mud to log on and do just about anything - that can't be good.

Looks like they may be running an instance of SQL, definitely BES....maybe they need a second server to take some of the load off, or just more memory for this box or something.

I'm going to have my tech take a good look at it to see WTF is going on with it....assuming we get the gig. :)

Back