What rackmount patch panel can I make work with a 16Port Switch?

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
I'm doing an extremely small build out with a vertically mounted rack:

1698689632348.png

There will only be about 10-12 drops with ZERO interest in expansion in the next 5+ years so I will be providing them with a UB 16P POE Switch:

1698689735435.png

I've never figure out why but on all 16/24 switches the ports are all right (or left) making it difficult to make everything look clean.

Is the best way to do is is to just get a 24P 1U Patch Panel and use 6" cables where I can and then I run out of length switch to 1FT Cables?

1698689919061.png

I've seen (and installed) those vertical mounts before but honestly I'm not very fond of 'em. The ports face upwards...collect duct/debris.

You can find some shorter 6 or 8U "open post network racks"....
Put a shelf on em. So you can mount the patch panel there, the switch, and a shelf for the modem/gateway/small things.

I have used them too and honestly if I did them again I would consider installing it sideways and look for a support bracket for the far end if felt it was needed

Vertical racks are fine if you have a top cover. Even a relatively clean space can quickly build up debris. What else is in the rack beyond the PP and switch? If that's it then just mount the switch flush to the back board, rotated so the ports are vertical, and use a couple of these for patch panels. See that all the time small retail outlets.

In the end much depends on what else there is.

Back