Which eReader do you recommend?

First glitch here...

I purchased a kindle book, and am unable to convert it thru Calibre or Epubor for use on my Kobo. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

You most likely need to strip the DRM from it, but I'm not sure what the best option for that is. Use all appropriate caution when googling, etc.

There are or have been plugins that you could add to Calibre, but in the past they've been explicitly not available directly from the Calibre developers, site or possibly from within its plugin downloading system so that Calibre doesn't get seen as a DRM-stripping tool.

You might check the MobileRead wiki, particularly https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion

I'll also recommend checking the main MobileRead site and its forums https://mobileread.com

I purchased a kindle book, and am unable to convert it thru Calibre or Epubor for use on my Kobo.

Let me ask the same question we'd ask a client with this problem: What happens when you try?

You most likely need to strip the DRM from it, but I'm not sure what the best option for that is.

That would be my first thought too - Amazon really doesn't want you to read any of its books on anything it doesn't control. If that is the case then there are a number of widely-used and readily-Googleable ways to remove DRM (legally dubious but morally acceptable to many people - your morality may vary) but which are probably not appropriate to discuss here.

For an idea of just how authoritarian Amazon can be, see here. They couldn't have done this better if they tried.

Last edited:
I think if you are going to have to do that frequently you will big time regret not buying a Kindle. Too many books on Kindle format only to think about anything else in my opinion.

fencepost & C-B -

It is a DRM error. This program is supposed to be able to remove that, but for whatever reason, it is not. I have a support ticket open w/ the software co., waiting to hear back from them.

...as far as the moral aspect...well, I do consider myself moral.

However, since I legally purchased the item/book in question, it seems that I should be able to use it in any way that I want, short of distributing it to others. Locking a person from viewing it on their particular device seems ludicrous to me. Technically though, I suppose that does not line up with the law.

I can read it on any device that supports the kindle app (as nline mentioned in an earlier post)

nline -

I most likely would have purchased a Kindle, except for the fact that they have such small screens. Th DX is larger, even larger than the Kobo, but it seems they have stopped producing it. BTW, the Kindle app does include TTS, so it will read to you, albeit in a rather monotone male voice, lol.

It is a DRM error.

No, It's DRM working exactly as it's supposed to. In this case Amazon is using it to encourage you to ditch your lovely new Kobo and buy a Kindle instead.

since I legally purchased the item/book in question, it seems that I should be able to use it in any way that I want

Um... "Since I legally purchased a licence to use the item/book in question in ways limited by the terms of the licence, it seems that I should be able to use it in any way that is permitted by the licence."

This has always been true for paper books as well, but now it's digitally enforceable. Technology's a great servant but a right sod of a master.

Did I mention a little while back that I'm not a fan of DRM in general or Amazon in particular? Now you know why.

Last edited:
No, It's DRM working exactly as it's supposed to. In this case Amazon is using it to encourage you to ditch your lovely new Kobo and buy a Kindle instead.

Um... "Since I legally purchased a licence to use the item/book in question in ways limited by the terms of the licence, it seems that I should be able to use it in any way that is permitted by the licence."

This has always been true for paper books as well, but now it's digitally enforceable. Technology's a great servant but a right sod of a master.

Did I mention a little while back that I'm not a fan of DRM in general or Amazon in particular? Now you know why.

All good points. Not a fan here either, especially on something like this. Copyrights have their place, but again, this is silly to force a consumer to use a particular device. Especially when said device does not have the features that the consumer requires, as in my case.

I don't really care what name is on my reader, I just wanted a large screen reader, which Kindle is not. What is really silly about this is that I am able to read it on my tablet or pc with the free app...but not on my ereader....lol...what a backwards setup....And so it goes.

I don't really care what name is on my reader, I just wanted a large screen reader, which Kindle is not. What is really silly about this is that I am able to read it on my tablet or pc with the free app...but not on my ereader....lol...what a backwards setup....And so it goes.

You could convert it from the ePaper format to the aPaper (actual paper) format for use with one of these dirt-cheap aReaders. Much bigger than the Kindle screen too ;)

Back