seedubya

Reaction score
- Server 2012 R2 Essentials
- Built in PPTP VPN, just 2 users
- VPN connects fine I can ping the server by FQDN and it resolves no problem
- cannot browse network shares by FQDN but can by IP
- happens to both users
- IP ranges are different

My first thought is DNS but I can't find anything amiss. I have looked through Routing & Remote Access and all seems OK but obviously it's not.

Any help very gratefully accepted.

LAN IP of the server as primary DNS server on the VPN dial up adapters TCP properties?

Yes it is. See below. I've tried setting it manually also and it makes no difference. Everything works fine on LAN. Problem is only via VPN.
It has to be DNS related, right? I can ping by FQDN but not browse and I CAN browse by IP.

MPIL.PNG

If you can ping FQDN then DNS is working properly. To be honest I've never used the internal FQDN in a situation like this. Always been the machine host name or, preferably by me, the IP address.

Tossing this link out in the off chance you may not have seen it.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/arch...ues-on-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials.aspx

If they will let you, have you tried doing this from one of your machines at your home or office? Also, I'd set logging everywhere to verbose.

And by browsing. I'm guessing you tried automatic, click on the browse button, as well as manually typing it in. It tough if you can't get any error messages.

Ran into something similar but it was a few years ago. NetBios over TCP/IP not being enabled for something like that for some reason is sticking in my head? I'll have to see if I have notes on it when I get to the office on Monday.

Back