VLANs challenge

DanF

Reaction score
I'm not a network guy, but I decided to improve my knowledge by getting myself a "nice" L2+ TP-Link switch (JetStream SG3428).

So, considering that this has some nice features, one of my first ideas was... why not use it as a DHCP server? Bright idea. Should be simple, create a VLAN on the new switch, create a DHCP pool, routing, and if everything works fine then we can move everyone from the modem to the switch and route everything at switch level. Just one or two VLANs to start with.

Wrong. Not that simple.

Setup:

VLAN 1 : 192.168.1.0/24 (same network as the modem's). Interface on switch: 192.168.1.110.
VLAN 2 : 192.168.2.0/24. Interface on switch 192.168.2.1.

Then I have a default route 0.0.0.0/0 dst 192.168.1.254 (modem).

Issues start here:

Ports assigned to VLAN 1, work brilliant. They get an IP (from the modem), and that's it. Communicate with other devices, access the internet.
Ports assigned to VLAN 2, get an IP from the switch's DHCP, but cannot ping/reach the modem, and of course nothing beyond that (i.e. no internet).

The idea was to set up a couple more VLANs, and do the usual trial and error work. But if only the default VLAN is able to go beyond the switch, then I might as well have gotten myself a cheapo dump switch. This surely has to be a mistake I'm doing, right? What is it?

Do you have the port the modem is on on VLAN2 as well?

No VLAN settings on the modem :( Or are you referring to the uplink?

In any case, the uplink (port 24) is on both VLANs as untagged, with VPID 1.

Right, but what I'm getting at. On your switch, you have two vlans. Each port is assigned to at least one vlan. If you plug the modem into a port on (only) vlan 1, vlan 1 can communicate with it. If it's on a port with only vlan 2, only vlan 2 can communicate with it.

You can assign more than one vlan to a port, to allow it to pass traffic to devices.

edit: Ok, yeah. Wasn't sure if it was just the simplest solution or not. Can you post a pic of the configs?

Right, but what I'm getting at. On your switch, you have two vlans. Each port is assigned to at least one vlan. If you plug the modem into a port on (only) vlan 1, vlan 1 can communicate with it. If it's on a port with only vlan 2, only vlan 2 can communicate with it.

You can assign more than one vlan to a port, to allow it to pass traffic to devices.

Yes it's on both VLANs, and untagged on both.

Yeah sure. VLAN 3 is the same as VLAN 2 (I created 3 and deleted 2 as a test).

Port 13 is the one I'm using to test, Port 24 is the uplink. And since I'm not a networking guru, I'm also attaching the route tables & interfaces, in case I did mistakes there.

Attachments

• VLAN1.png
    VLAN1.png
    34 KB · Views: 4
  • VLAN3.png
    VLAN3.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
  • interfaces.png
    interfaces.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 4
  • routing_table.png
    routing_table.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 4
  • static_route.png
    static_route.png
    13 KB · Views: 4
I'm not a network guy, but I decided to improve my knowledge by getting myself a "nice" L2+ TP-Link switch (JetStream SG3428).

So, considering that this has some nice features, one of my first ideas was... why not use it as a DHCP server? Bright idea. Should be simple, create a VLAN on the new switch, create a DHCP pool, routing, and if everything works fine then we can move everyone from the modem to the switch and route everything at switch level. Just one or two VLANs to start with.

Wrong. Not that simple.

Setup:

VLAN 1 : 192.168.1.0/24 (same network as the modem's). Interface on switch: 192.168.1.110.
VLAN 2 : 192.168.2.0/24. Interface on switch 192.168.2.1.

Then I have a default route 0.0.0.0/0 dst 192.168.1.254 (modem).

Issues start here:

Ports assigned to VLAN 1, work brilliant. They get an IP (from the modem), and that's it. Communicate with other devices, access the internet.
Ports assigned to VLAN 2, get an IP from the switch's DHCP, but cannot ping/reach the modem, and of course nothing beyond that (i.e. no internet).

The idea was to set up a couple more VLANs, and do the usual trial and error work. But if only the default VLAN is able to go beyond the switch, then I might as well have gotten myself a cheapo dump switch. This surely has to be a mistake I'm doing, right? What is it?

Based on the IP configuration above, your likely problem is in the cable modem.

You have your 2nd VLAN, you have a layer 3 switch that's assigning IP addresses. What that layer 3 switch is NOT DOING is NAT. And because it's not doing NAT, your upstream router has no route to the 192.168.2.0/24 network, which is causing unidirectional packetflow issues.

Get into your cable modem and create a static route for the 192.168.2.0/24 network, and aim it at the switch's interface on the .1 network, probably the 192.168.1.110 address listed above.

You will need to repeat this process for each IP network that lives beyond the router in the switch.

P.S. To be a pedant, and to help foster better communications please note...

A VLAN is a layer 2 object, a division in broadcast and collision domain.
An IP Network is a layer 3 object, a division in broadcast domain.

Your VLANs work perfectly, your IP Networking is broken, the two aren't the same and very often conflated.

P.S. The (JetStream SG3428) according to my googling doesn't support NAT at all, so if the cable modem lacks the ability for you to specify static routes, you're SOL this will never work.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.

Yes the modem lacks the ability, it's very basic / locked down. I guess the only way is to replace the modem with my own device and bridge it.

EDIT: I'll probably start with a TP-Link ER605 to keep it simple and in the same eco system, then maybe in the future replace it with a pfSense box or something with more features.

Last edited:
Back