Vista Update downloads stuck at 0%

coffee

Reaction score
Im kinda stuck here. As the title says the vista updates is stuck at 0% and will not download anything.

I did remove some pretty bad stuff off this laptop and cleaned it all up. The updates show up but as far as downloading them the updater just sits.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Fixes from Microsoft (the fixit thing) = nope.
2. ran a sfc /scannow just in case = everything fine.
3. Searched the web for other possible answers. = Lots of dead threads on the issue.
4. Did a restore to about a month back when it appeared things were working ok. = nope.
5. Found some reg fixes in the "tips and tricks" here. It didnt work.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Im actually at the point that Im thinking of just reinstalling. Spending too much time on this HP Pavilion dv6.

Thanks

Somehow double posted when I edited it...ignore this one.

Last edited:
Disable any firewalls to ensure that nothing is being blocked.

I would start by resetting Windows Update components
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If that isn't succesfull, I would rename the distribution folder so that it can be recreated by running the following from an elevated command prompt:

Code:
net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv

Thanks TLE,

I tried the first point of the MS fixit. Didnt work so I did go in and rename the folder and restart updates. Its churning around right now and Im going to let it run. I have to take off for service calls scheduled right now.

I really appreciate your help. I really do not want to reload this thing unless I have too.

Disable any firewalls to ensure that nothing is being blocked.

I would start by resetting Windows Update components
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If that isn't succesfull, I would rename the distribution folder so that it can be recreated by running the following from an elevated command prompt:

Code:
net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution
ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
net start wuauserv

I have had good luck with this method.

[solved]

Hey, Just got back to the shop from a service call and looked at the laptop. Its doing the updates!!! :) :)

Thank you VERY much for the help. Now that (actually all) will go into my notes for repairs!!

Kudos to Everyone and thank you very much!!!!

Hey, Just got back to the shop from a service call and looked at the laptop. Its doing the updates!!! :) :)

Thank you VERY much for the help. Now that (actually all) will go into my notes for repairs!!

Kudos to Everyone and thank you very much!!!!

Glad to help out when I can :D

Don't forget to mark helpful posts>

Back