Vista 32 not booting - BSOD stop:0x0000007B

does constant beeping mean a ram problem have to tested the ram slots and the ram. or run memtest x86. That would be my first thought. if you have already tested that.. my bad

According to Gigabyte, the board should never emit a constant tone or beep.

Well I did change the motherboard but the problem remains so NYJimbo and JustInspired can relax a bit. The tone or beep has not occurred on the new board but I may have stopped it with an earlier repair attempt with the old board and just did not know it because I had disconnected the speaker.

STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80399BB0, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x000000000)

I am suspecting a disk driver problem but Windows is not indicating which one.

Have you tried booting from a recovery disk and trying fixboot, fixmbr, etc?

Yes but it did no good. Unless someone comes up with another idea to try, I am going to load Windows 7 (64). I really wanted to get this Vista system running again to migrate settings and programs before going to Windows 7 but I am running out of other options to try.

Anyone know how to install the motherboard SATA driver without installing Windows again?

Yes there are two tools that will inject a HDC drivers on UBCD4Win disk. Also check Foolish IT's site.

Could you slave the drive to a running Vista/7 system and use Fab's autobackup4tech to get your data and settings?

Could you slave the drive to a running Vista/7 system and use Fab's autobackup4tech to get your data and settings?

As stated previously, I exported a drive from RAID 1 so I have a drive that I can fully access but it will not boot. My experience is that the Microsoft settings wizard does not work well on an installation that is not running.

I tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers from command line in UBCD4Win but failed with error "File copying was not successful. Setup will exit."

"Microsoft settings wizard ..."

That's one of the great features of Fab's (and I believe D7's DataGrab as well ?). You can pull settings from an offline Windows installation then restore it to a fresh installation.

Here's a link to the standalone version of DataGrab, but FoolishTech says the version built into D7 has more features:

http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/datagrab/

A very handy tool at times!

That being said, it actually sounds like you might be able to boot the old installation if you:

1. Switch to IDE mode in Bios.

2. Slave the drive, remote load the afflicted registry and change it so Windows is loading in IDE mode as well.

I was trying to find a good tutorial for you on how to do this, but I'm out of time here.

Can anybody help our friend out with a tutorial on how to edit the registry to change from AHCI to IDE mode? Bonus points if you've done it before yourself.

Nothing has helped so far. Microsoft does have a FixIt for SATA drivers (AHCI & IDE); however, I cannot get it to work on a remote windows installation that did not start.

I did try D7 but it had very few tools that work offline. I tried the SFC operation listed on the but it says it is not yet available. The tool list is quite good for the system it is installed on but I rarely have use for that.

Do you have another Windows desktop that you can slave the drive to, or is UBCD Win your only option at this point?

That being said, it actually sounds like you might be able to boot the old installation if you:

1. Switch to IDE mode in Bios.

2. Slave the drive, remote load the afflicted registry and change it so Windows is loading in IDE mode as well.

I was trying to find a good tutorial for you on how to do this, but I'm out of time here.

Can anybody help our friend out with a tutorial on how to edit the registry to change from AHCI to IDE mode? Bonus points if you've done it before yourself.

Tried both AHCI and IDE modes several days ago. Made the registry changes as described at:
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/271218-switch-ahci-ide-tutorial-howto.html
but it made no difference at all.

If there are other registry changes that you had in mind, I am very interested in hearing about them.

Do you have another Windows desktop that you can slave the drive to, or is UBCD Win your only option at this point?

I have two laptops that I can use with a USB drive dock right away. I also have a Windows 7 desktop that I was configuring for someone that I could set up too.

One thing I do know is that this is definitely a software/Windows problem.

Refer to this article and take a look at "Start Type".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103000

There seems to be some mixed info about settings in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\

out there on the interwebz, so the above article is good to have on hand.

On my system, for example, pciide is set to start type 3 (refer to the kb above).

intelide is set to 0. All others (iastorv, msahci, etc are set to 3, including pciide.

iastor is not present in the section in question, only iastorv (on my system).

So, make backups of the hives on your slaved drive and take a look at your settings there.

You could always do a Hail Mary by backing up the drive in question and then doing a bare metal (hardware agnostic) restore. Having the updated gigabyte drivers on hand would be helpful after a successful boot.

Acronis, Macrium, most the major backup progs offer this option (for a few extra bucks).

Last edited:
I tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers from command line in UBCD4Win but failed with error "File copying was not successful. Setup will exit."

Are you referring to the two tools on there for injecting HDC drivers - FixHDC and FixIDE (I think that's what they're called)? Those are the ones to try.

You might also wish to look at getting old of the Paragon Adaptive Restore Disk which has some useful functions. It will attempt to automatically fix Windows to run on new h/w - ie fixes the HDC drivers and has tools that will fix the boot records, as well as the usual fixboot/fixmbr stuff. It's got me out of a few of these situations.

Last edited:
here is a crazy thought, but are you sure that the OS is able to mount the HDD ok due to a corrupt drive? Unless windows updated your storage drivers you have a greater chance that the hdd is corrupt in some way you might not have discovered yet, vs the HDC driver becoming corrupted.

here is a crazy thought, but are you sure that the OS is able to mount the HDD ok due to a corrupt drive? Unless windows updated your storage drivers you have a greater chance that the hdd is corrupt in some way you might not have discovered yet, vs the HDC driver becoming corrupted.

The drive (actually 2) test OK with several tools. They work just fine with boot disks such as UBCD4Win.

I had a similar problem on two identical eMachine PCs a little over a year ago and found that the problem ended up being some kind of undetectable rootkit at that time. The customers were in no hurry for their units, so I had the opportunity to play around with them for a little while.

I tried almost everything I could find on here and the rest of the net and nothing would detect the problem. Even after performing several factory recoveries on each unit, I still received this similar BSOD. I even ran some very intensive hardware diagnostics on both units, which resulted in a video memory failure on both of them.

Wanting to make sure it was actually hardware and not software, I decided to image the drive and perform a clean install of the OS. Guess what...the problem was fixed! Both systems ran fine for days afterwards. However, every time I tried repartitioning the drive and reinstalling the factory image using imagex, the same BSOD would appear, but a clean install would work flawlessly every time on both units.

I am not sure if such a creature exists, but during my adventure with these two units, I did read a few articles on rootkits that were supposedly able to infect the recovery partition and factory image. Although I never found a solution for this theoretical problem, I did find that the only solution for my problem was a clean install of the OS.

Trust me, this was truly a learning experience for me, mainly because my trusted hardware diagnostics reporting hardware issues with the onboard video memory. Had it not been on two identical machines at about the same time, I would probably have deemed it defective hardware and recommended a new PC. Then again, when a customer gives me ample time to discover a problem, I usually try everything I can think of, even if I lose a little bit of time in the process, because many times it gives me the ability to learn on the job at no cost to me or the customer, other than my time, which ultimately benefits me in the end.

Back