Vista 32 not booting - BSOD stop:0x0000007B

sys-eng

Reaction score
This problem may be related to a restart after a recent Windows update. After loading BIOS, Gigabyte EP45 motherboard emits a constant beep or tone that never stops. Windows attempts to start then displays a blue screen with:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80399BB0, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x000000000)

I tried Windows Repair from the Windows Ultimate DVD with SP2 but it failed to fix the problem. Attempting to eliminate the 3ware/LSI RAID controller, I exported one of the mirrored disk drives and connected it to the on-board SATA controller. I can access the drive just fine from a bootable CD. I rebuilt the BCD file and MBR and boot sector repair using the bcdedit tool as described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392#method1 among other Microsoft sites.

Removed RAM, video card, and disconnected other drives and card reader; changed PSU, keyboard, and mouse to eliminate hardware problems but no help.

After much work but no progress, the error code has changed slightly to:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80699BB0, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x0000000)

{0x803 changed to 0x806}

I can still access the drive just fine with a bootable disk like UBCD. This is my main family computer and I have been working on this for 4 days and really open to any advice. Any ideas?

Just a couple things off the top of my head.

- I had a similar issue once and it was related to a BIOS setting. Double check your RAID/AHCI settings. Could be that Windows is not loading the ahci driver on boot.

- 0x0000007B is usually disk related "INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE". Have you done a HDD diagnostic to check for problems?

Did all the usual tests on disk and partition and boot records.

Also tried different AHCI and IDE options in BIOS. I could not remember what these options were originally so tried every combination.

I intended to upgrade this system to Windows 7 but was not ready to do that right now. I do not have all the license key codes and application configurations such as e-mail, Word, and Excel options/toolbars recorded to migrate to Windows 7. Setting those up again for each user can take days.

Can you roll it back using safe mode/system restore to the date before the Windows updates?

Will not boot into safe mode. System restore does not work which is not unusual for this type of problem because the problem is in boot section which I believe must load before restore can work.

No you're not alone. This seems like a red flag or... who knows?
Is it still making the beeping noise? Does it stop after a time? Does it happen every time it's turned on?

The tone is so annoying that I disconnected the case speaker. I am tempted to try another motherboard though I have never seen a motherboard fail in this way.

Understood;

I once had a power outage during updates & experienced a blue screen issue. In the end, my only option was a reinstall.

Lesson learned, I now use a UPS...of course, if the update process takes more time than the battery reserve... :eek:

This computer is on a UPS and did not experience any power interruption though it appears that can cause this problem sometimes.

By "SR", do you mean System Recovery or System Restore?

I have not used D7 before now but will certainly give it a shot.

The D7 site recommends using WinPE as a boot median for D7. I have never used WinPE before and just wasted several hours trying to get WinBuilder (083) to build anything bootable. It started saying it needed to download more files which I allowed then it gave an error message much like Microsoft - - "ImageX failed with error 2". Oh of course, error 2. And I was expecting error 17 or 41.:rolleyes: This is probably why I do most of my repairs manually.

The D7 site recommends using WinPE as a boot median for D7. I have never used WinPE before and just wasted several hours trying to get WinBuilder (083) to build anything bootable. It started saying it needed to download more files which I allowed then it gave an error message much like Microsoft - - "ImageX failed with error 2". Oh of course, error 2. And I was expecting error 17 or 41.:rolleyes: This is probably why I do most of my repairs manually.

Have you tried UBCD4Win? Pretty easy to build it as all you need is a Windows XP CD.

The tone is so annoying that I disconnected the case speaker. I am tempted to try another motherboard though I have never seen a motherboard fail in this way.

While disconnecting the speaker makes the tone go away, there is an underlying problem you are ignoring that may be part of your other problem.

While disconnecting the speaker makes the tone go away, there is an underlying problem you are ignoring that may be part of your other problem.

You are right. It is best to eliminate the motherboard as the culprit - - especially since I have a new board of the exact same model so the motherboard driver is the same.

My customers' computer and network problems are NEVER as complicated as my own. I just wish my problems were not on my primary system.

does constant beeping mean a ram problem have to tested the ram slots and the ram. or run memtest x86. That would be my first thought. if you have already tested that.. my bad

Back