[REQUEST] Video Card Issue

tata_charlie

Reaction score
Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this issue I am facing.

I have a the following video card Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 on a Windows 10 64x OS.

When I boot up Windows and everything the driver for the video card is working as normal, after getting into a game the driver itself crashes and fps goes down to 20.

Notice that there is no error message on windows why the driver itself crashed.

The way around that I found to fix the issue until next re-boot is to get myself into device manager>display adapters> disable and re-enable the video card.

What I did so far:
-fresh install windows
-fresh install nvidia driver and up to date
-made sure that I am not infected with a virus/malware(so on) or having some kind of corruption within my system

What I did not:
-put the video card in a different machine and see if the problem persist

Did any of you had face with this kind of issue? I am aware that there might be a hardware issue with the video card but wanted to see if maybe there might be someone in the same situation as me, I don't feel like sending the Video Card to Warranty yet.

What software are you experiencing the crash with? Does it happen outside of that application/game? Where did you get your drivers?

Is the card being adequately cooled?
Has it been overclocked?
Have you made sure the PSU is giving it enough power?
Swapped the PSU for another?
Tried another card in the machine?
Tried the card in another machine running the same software and drivers and observed the results?

everything previously asked + have you tried another game? Have you tried some of the furmark testing software or http://www.3dmark.com ?

Have you tried under W7? I know DX12 crashes some games.

I would also reiterate the PSU component - is it OK?

With my own personal W10 gaming box I had to ensure Windows 10 was FULLY updated - like FULLY (it was really annoying on that Friday night where all I wanted to do was sink into some kick ass graphical bliss). Then re-run the NVIDIA driver software - from NVIDIA.

Drop any other performance enhancing software - keep it stock and simple.

Ensure AV is off or uninstalled. These games are full legit releases? (this is not an anti piracy comment, but simply checking that you have the latest built of game x).

I would definitely check out the PSU could be going bad and not providing enough power right now.

Have you tried running a stress test on the machine? Also when you put the video card in another machine did it run just fine?

@Blues It happens only in-game, I got the latest drivers from Nivida website using Geforce Experience.

@Barcelona
-yes
-never
-I did not checked that but this might be a reason
-I did not
-I don't have a spear one at the moment or equivalent as power
-I did not to be honest

@Mainstay
-I will try 3dmark
-Never had any issue of this with Windows 7 back in the days
-PSU not sure if its that good, has more then 4 years now :)
-I have everything up to date
-Video card and everything is stocked and not Overclocked
-And the games I have this issue is CS:GO and Playerunkown battlegrounds and Battlefield 1 (they are all legit/genuine)

@cypress
-I think it might be the PSU but weird how after I disable and re enable my video card i can play for hours and have no issue what so ever, It just does on first time boot...
-I will try a stress test later today

------------- After answers-----

Hear me out, I've put a thought into this... And I am sure there is a problem with Ethernet port from the motherboard. I had the same issue on a computer I used to troubleshoot within my workshop.

After I installed a dedicated ethernet card and disabled the motherboard one, the issue with the video card has been fixed with that system. I will try that and see how it goes.

What I can tell is that the PSU is old, has like 4 years now, It had her own fair share of overclock on the old components I used to have.

I've upgraded the system like 2 months ago, got a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM and kept the old parts.

... And I am sure there is a problem with Ethernet port from the motherboard. I had the same issue on a computer I used to troubleshoot within my workshop.

After I installed a dedicated ethernet card and disabled the motherboard one, the issue with the video card has been fixed with that system. I will try that and see how it goes.

A bad Ethernet port on the MB caused a problem with an add-on graphics card? One would think that either there's a crack in the MB or it's a power-related issue. I gotta hear the final resolution on this one! :eek:

A bad Ethernet port on the MB caused a problem with an add-on graphics card? One would think that either there's a crack in the MB or it's a power-related issue. I gotta hear the final resolution on this one! :eek:
It could be an issue with the North or South Bridge on some systems the 2 systems seeming unrelated being on the same bridge still gives us a single failure point that could relate.

Curious: what are you outputting TO and HOW? Does the same behavior occur if you were to use VGA?

also - are there any events showing up in eventvwr?

Last edited:
Hello everyone, came back with a fix for my issue :).

I've uninstall all drivers manually, I've let windows 10 install the drivers by-itself and afterwards I've installed Snappy Driver, he manage to find all the missing or outdated drivers.

After install did a system restart and everything works as normal.... Seems like there was a driver issue between CPU GPU and Dedicated GPU... :)

Back