Very strange laptop behavior

Velvis

Reaction score
Dell Latitude 15. Probably 5-6+ years old. They ordered a replacement that is coming later in the week.

Battery has been junk, but today pops up a BIOS message saying its completely spent. (Although I was able to unplug it for about 10 minutes )

Clicking with the mouse to pass (important to note that the mouse is working )the BIOS message ends up with the black boot screen with the spinning circle. This goes on for quite some time and then it continues to spin and also flashes the pointer for a second or two. This continues endlessly.

Getting into the BIOS the keyboard works fine to navigate and the mouse moves but the left click doesnt work with the built in touchpad or external mouse. I can select the item and then press enter and that works to select somthing.

None of the safe mode or command line reboots do anything but bring back a black screen.

If I try to repair the installation it pops up the user name, clicking on that prompts for their password. The input box is filled over and over with the 'p' key as if its been held down. (I can tell its the 'p' key by clicking on the eye to reveal the password. There is no way to stop it so no chance of getting the password in.

I have disconnected the built in keyboard. cleaned the touch screen, and also tried a USB keyboard and it just keeps entering 'p's

Anyone have any idea what's going on with this thing?

I would disconnect the touch cable to eliminate that from source of the "p"s. Any liquid spills? What happens with a PE?
As far as I can tell the touch portion is in the same cable as the video output. So unplugging it disables the touch screen. Either way I removed the hard drive and got the data for the new computer.

Back