Very odd infection

JRDtechnet

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this, random pictures missing on websites and in applications. applications opening with the window shrunken down with no way to expand it. For example if I go to google.com the "Google Search" and "I'm feeling lucky" buttons are half size and only read "Goog" and "I'm F" the sign in button is a square with no text. the only think up in the black bar area is a 'More' and like I said its not just google, all websites and applications have malformed elements. I had an XP machine that had something similar but would display red X on images like the logo of any application I opened would have a red X indicating the link to the picture was missing.

Got any pictures you can post so we get a better idea of what's happening? What windows OS? Using IE? Tried a different browzer? Try some solutions first before you post so we can keep from guessing around.

to me it sounds like a bad graphics driver or a bad graphics card, did you boot into VGA mode or try different resolutions or colour modes?

doesn't sound like virus/malware to me at all..

Browser problem? What browser are you using? Try any others? Good, complete info would be helpful.

Rick

If using IE reset all settings back to original.

Tools->Internet Options->Advanced tab

click Restore Advanced Settings
click apply
click Reset explorer settings - DO NOT tell it to delete personal settings.
close IE and reopen

This will remove all custom stuff but not delete favorites.

This has fixed many weirdo issues with IE.

Still run a full assortment of virus scans.

If using IE reset all settings back to original.

Tools->Internet Options->Advanced tab

click Restore Advanced Settings
click apply
click Reset explorer settings - DO NOT tell it to delete personal settings.
close IE and reopen

This will remove all custom stuff but not delete favorites.

This has fixed many weirdo issues with IE.

Still run a full assortment of virus scans.

FYI deleting personal settings will not delete favourites either.

I had an issue last week where after a malware infection .png images in IE 8 would not display - just a red X. I tried resetting IE, as well as all of the fixes in Tweaking.com's repair tools. I uninstalled IE8 - thus reverting to IE7, and .png images displayed normally. After re-installing IE8, the images continued to display normally.

Back