[REQUEST] Using dual NIC's on server and workstations to create dual networks for seamless switchover to backup WAN/ISP

urcomputech

Reaction score
I have a client that wants to set up dual networks in his home office of 10 users. It includes a windows server (non-domain) solely as a file share and QB database host. The purpose is to implement a backup for when the primary ISP has an outage (Spectrum). Previously there was a router that was capable of dual WAN with automatic switchover, but it never really worked properly and they were left to physically moving the switch cable from the WAN port designated for Spectrum to the WAN port designated for DLS/PPPoE. Well now that we upgraded the router to eEro Pro, it turns out that eEro will not support DSL. He's very happy with the eEro performance, but of course, we are looking for solutions for the backup DSL service, right now next time there is a Spectrum outage they have no options but to wait until Spectrum addresses the issue. I've looked at the Google Mesh, which does support DSL but does not support ethernet as a backbone. He theorizes that if we have machines with dual NIC's and a separate WiFi system altogether dedicated to DSL we will have a seamless switchover of ISP's. While my gut tells me there are easier ways to do this, he is very much married to his idea. He is very technical as he comes from a computer science background, so at the same time, I want to make this work for him. We are on the verge of replacing all the machines, so I would like to have a strong grasp on whether or not this will work before we order new machines with the dual NIC's. Has anyone else seen or implemented this use case in the real world? If so, is there any special configuration or software requirements, or additional hardware besides the extra NIC? How about once the primary WAN is restored, how do we automate the switchback? Should we be concerned about file corruption on the packet level during any switchover? Does anyone have any other ideas that I can represent that would work just as well that he may consider? I'm sure there are other questions I don't know to ask.

UPDATE: Thanks for your input everyone. I've used your comments to convince my client to simply look for a better class router that can handle dual WAN w/Failover capability. It looks like there are plenty to choose from. He's now convinced that his idea was not the best route. Now the only thing to do is to figure out which router, but I'm leaning towards untangle. I've heard about untangle quite a bit in the past, including from some of my favorite podcasters. Thank you all for taking the time from your busy schedule to help out.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, what the client is asking for isn't possible. Ok well it IS, but it's also highly short sighted and horribly inefficient.

The solution is to get a multi-wan router that actually works. Multi-homing workstations and laptops creates vastly more problems than it solves.

For the record, I highly doubt he came from a computer science background, or he'd know this. Computers can only have ONE active default route, that means ONE path to the Internet. (By the way, that's kind of the definition of "default", it's also why Cisco refers to it as the gateway of last resort, you get ONE OF THOSE, that's it... no more, and it must be your path to all unknowns, IE the Internet) Without very special software managing it, that's the way it is. That special software belongs on a router, you can get it on a computer, but if you put it there you'll be managing it there... which is a double dose of headache and very likely won't work when you need it either. It's a great way to have all machines lost in a strange place where they cannot even find each other consistently.

I'll bet that eero can support the DSL just fine, what it probably lacks is the ability to deal with PPPoE, which the DSL router that's actually got the phone line jacked into it can and should handle. That is unless it's not multi-wan capable... that's a separate issue. I've never used one myself so I don't know.

One last thing, Untangle has paid features that enable the most flexible multi-wan functionality on the market. If he likes to tinker... he'll probably love it. It also can handle PPPoE, so the DSL line with the router in full bridge mode is no problem.

Last edited:
Avoid dual networks...dual NICs on a server, etc. It'll be a NIGHTMARE to support.

Take the multi WAN router approach.
Personally I prefer the DSL CPE to be a device that handles the PPPoE login..and hands the pubby IP to the WAN port of the router.
But you can also just get a basic DSL modem that has the router do the PPPoE also. Just be sure to avoid double NAT.

Our preferred firewall that is VERY good at managing multi-WANs is Untangle.
Peplink is another brand that does a good job.
Ubiquiti can....it's not the smoothest last I tested ( a few years ago...haven't bothered seeing if it improved).

Also, are you really committed to DSL as your secondary? Seems a little archaic these days to be using DSL with PPPoE. Only locations where that's used around here are the really rural ones. Your location on your profile says LA. If that's where the client is located I would expect you'd have a lot of choices.

For a backup connection how about using cellular?

Or better yet, get fiber for his primary and use cable as the backup. Fiber should have better uptime among other things.

Another quick one to say avoid dual-nic workstations at all costs.

My first thought would be a Draytek 2862 but they don't have much presence in the US. Built-in DSL modem plus a second ethernet WAN port. Some models even do triple-wan with 4G/LTE if that's of interest.

Yeah, a 4G bridge into an Ethernet jack would perform better than DSL, and possibly be cheaper... 5G even better if it's available.

The 5G can't do ingress though... no real IP address. Yay for cellular internet usually meaning double NAT... so that's a thing. BUT, it could be part of the business owners family share plan, which means it's almost free. The DSL... very much isn't.

If someone has 5G service you could run I don't know how many computers at "within typical limits" bandwidth and not come close to a bottleneck.

My internet service here at home has been 4G LTE through my smartphone mobile hotspot for almost 2 years now. Much faster than the fastest DSL line I could get in the area. At the time I made this change, we did not have any fiber optic internet service provider (and I'd rather gnaw off my fingers than go with Comcast cable internet), but even now that we do, I have no need for fiber optic internet speed 99.9999999% of the time.

Also, are you really committed to DSL as your secondary? Seems a little archaic these days to be using DSL with PPPoE. Only locations where that's used around here are the really rural ones. Your location on your profile says LA. If that's where the client is located I would expect you'd have a lot of choices.

For a backup connection how about using cellular?

Or better yet, get fiber for his primary and use cable as the backup. Fiber should have better uptime among other things.
I would love that to be the case timeshifter, but unfortunately, DSL and Spectrum cable are the only things available in this particular area of L.A.
Thanks Timeshifter.

I would love that to be the case timeshifter, but unfortunately, DSL and Spectrum cable are the only things available in this particular area of L.A.
Thanks Timeshifter.

I find it highly suspect that you cannot use cellular internet anywhere in LA. Heck there's probably a few WISPs out there too you could use.

I find it highly suspect that you cannot use cellular internet anywhere in LA. Heck there's probably a few WISPs out there too you could use.
It's a home/office up in the hills. no reception. they use a femtocell, even then it's iffy.
Thanks Sky-Knight.
Edit: I have not considered or seen any wISP's aside from satellite (DirecTV), which of course require DSL for upload. Thanks for the tip, I'll spend some time looking.

Yeah, multi-WAN routers have reached the price points that many of our customers operate in. There's no reason to not go that route. Heck, the customer would probably pay many times the price of said router in just your labor costs dealing with the inevitable messes from the proposed "solution".

Oh goodness yes... if your loyalty is to the bottom line you'll multi-home the crap out of this guy... you'll be able to retire early!

Back