[REQUEST] iPhone not downloading media on certain WiFi networks

tek9

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving all.
I have a weird issue here, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I have a small client for whom I've setup a Unifi network at their business location a few years back, USG, USW switch and two NanoHD APs. Been going great since I haven't heard any complaints about it since then, but I don't manage this client so they're on whatever firmware version was current at the time. Now they renovated their home and they wanted me to install a similar Unifi setup for their multi story home. Initially the cable provider, Optimum, installed a modem/router combo, but I had them get Optimum to swap it for two separate devices so that I can replace the Optimum modem with a USG.
Prior to the modem swap, the lady of the house was complaining that when her iPhone (I think it's an SE, not familiar with iPhones) was connected to the Wi-Fi it wouldn't allow her to download any WhatsApp images to the device. I think that chat messages were going through, but if there was an image in the message it wouldn't come in. There's another app she has installed that allows her to stream classes, audio and/or video, from their library to her iPhone. The app has the option to stream those classes or to download them. Now when it's on Wi-Fi, it would only allow her to stream but not to download. She'd get a simple "download failed" error message when starting the download. If she disconnects from Wi-Fi and is on LTE everything works fine. Note that she has iOS restrictions in place on her phone so she doesn't have access to almost any other apps besides for these few. Safari is disabled as well so we can't test with that.
Now at her business location, she doesn't have these issues when connected to the WiFi, so we thought maybe an oddity with the combo gateway which we're getting rid of anyhow so no point in wasting time on it.
Two weeks ago, after they switched the modem, I installed the Unifi setup. A USG, a switch 8 150W, and two FlexHD APs, one in their IT closet on the main floor, and another in their bedroom upstairs. Laptops connected to it and my Android phone work perfectly fine, no issues, but the iPhone is exhibiting the same behavior. I though I'd try to match settings to what I did at their business and not use the Unifi defaults to optimize the WiFi, so I separated the 2GHz and 5GHz networks and made some other changes based on some Google searches, had her connect to the different networks etc, reset the iPhone network settings, forgot and reconnected to the networks, updated iOS and those apps to the latest versions, but nothing helped. I also tried swapping out one of the FlexHD for a NanoHD I had, but it didn't make a difference.
So I'm a bit confused here. The fact that it works on her LTE data connection but not on Wifi, seems to indicate an issue with the WiFi network and not the iPhone or the apps. The fact that it works on her older Unifi network but not on the new one seems to indicate that it's an issue with the new Wifi network settings, since the devices themselves are practically identical. But the fact that the problem exists even with the original Optimum wifi equipment seems to indicate an issue with the iPhone itself. Unless there's something on Optimum's side blocking it?
I asked him to get someone with a different iPhone to test those apps to see if it comes up there as well, but so far he didn't get to it.
While Googling the other day I found many people with iPhone connection issues to Unifi, but what's odd here is that the iPhone connects no problem, it's just that certain things, namely media downloads, don't work on this particular network.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

My money's on something about the restrictions on her phone are causing the failure. 70% chance. The other 30% is the Optimum connection.

I'd get a clean, unrestricted iPhone on that network first and test it.

Another test would be to set up a VPN so that her phone would connect to the WiFi, but would tunnel out and get to the Internet through a different place.

Also check if iOS and WhatsApp are up to date, if the iPhone has storage available (most of the times one of those options hold true)

iOS and Whatsapp are up to date. That was one of the first things I asked them to try. There was initially not enough room to update iOS but I got them to free up space and they got it going.
I don't use WhatsApp myself so couldn't test. The laptops and my Android are totally fine otherwise. No issues browsing and downloading.

Is the ISP the same at home and the office? IP at the office static or DHCP? Did the IP change when you dumped their stuff and put in your solution?

Back