UPS/battery backups

BO Terry

Reaction score
I am shopping for battery backups for a client and haven't researched them lately. Most of my clients are small businesses (usually no server), home-based business and some residential clients as well. What are your must-have features and/or minimum specs for a UPS? What are your good/better/best favorite brands/models for a single workstation setup? Same question for the router if you like to have them on a separate UPS.

What is the difference between Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR), Line-interaction and power conditioning?

What about Data Line Protection?

Thanks

A respectable name brand, properly sized is all you need in terms of of a UPS / Battery backup. Most do not offer much more than about a 5 to 10 min window to safely save whatever your working on and shut down. That and a surge protector.

Cheaper ones do not offer data line protection. It's important. Coax goes to your modem, modem goes to your PC via ethernet... even though the PSU on the PC was protected, Mr Lightning strike still has a path to the PC through the modem / router / cat 5 cables.

As long as you don't put heavy draw appliances (laser printer) on the UPS, you'll be fine with most choices. It's recommended to get one that can do the data line protection though, and make sure you have all paths to the computer considered.

As far as the line in AVR vs power conditioner... line in AVR basically works to keep the flow of power at a steady, constant level. 110V all the time. If there is a brownout, and your only getting 90V or a surge and your getting 130V... the unit will ensure the actual output never varies. Power filtering has more to do with cleaning up the noise and interference in power signal. Typically more of a deal for equipment like an audio amplifier than a PC. Some power conditioners do include AVR functionality, but it's not super common. If I had to pick one over the other, I'd rather have the line in AVR protection.

Back