unsecure Wi-Fi using our restaurant name (our restaurant does not wifi)

jvcomputerservice

Reaction score
unsecure Wi-Fi using our restaurant name (Wi-Fi Scams????)

I work in a restaurant and i repair pcs in my spare time. I just finished a Associate degree in Computer Networking and Security Management. But I do know that I still need a lot of things to learn.

Hi guys, i been reading technibble for the last two months. im planning to start my advertising in the next couple of months. I repair computers in my spare time, but i don't get paid for most of them. I also help my supervisor with the computer she is in charge of. First of all let me tell you that I work in a restaurant as a server. She (my supervisor) is in charge of 12 restaurants. Each restaurant has A windows 2000 server running micros on it, they all have 4 to 7 clients. I been involve in some repairs concerning the server and the thermal printer connected to the clients, you know basic staff. I also installed a DVR system for one restaurant, and let me tell you something it is really easy.
Fortunately, the problem or question i have is not related with any of the computers .
Our restaurant does not offer free wifi. We don't even have a wireless router. Last week i notice in my friends iphone that in the wifi setting theres a unsecured network SSID = "Restaurant blow". We have many costumers connecting their laptop to the internet while they wait for their food.
This is really strange for me, nobody would set up their router without any restrictions unless you want everyone to connect to it. I'm just worry that somebody set their router intentionally to get peoples data. It's easy to set up a server box and install router's features to it. They can install software allowing them to capture data and do illegal things with it.
My question is does anybody know where in can report these, or any advice on what I should do.
I'm planning to connect to network tomorrow with a fresh install of windows in my laptop and try to get some data from the router. (any advice, opinions or tricks that allow me to get info from the router)

thanks for your time tecnibble members

update 10/5/2010

Thank you for all your replies.

I called our ISP which is Megapath. (i had to wait 22 min for a technician to answer) after explaining the technician what was going on, he told that he did not have an answer for that. His solution is to tell costumers not to connect to it. But i think we need to do something else. we need to stop this guy, i don't know what is the purpose of this unsecure network using our restaurant name, but i have a bad feeling.
I also called a company who gives remote and onsite support for our POS system. I told them to change a touch screen client, which is dying. They are sending somebody to replace the client. I told the technician about the free wifi. He told me that, that's not their job and that he couldn't help me.
Anyways, it looks like am the only one worried about this issue. The manager is only worried about sales. My supervisor told me to see what I can do but nothing else.

I took my laptop to work today. I used inSSIDer 2 to scan the wireless networks and get some info.

screens.jpg

after finding the public address i used http://whois.domaintools.com/ to get the ISP of that specific ip address which is OrgName: Road Runner HoldCo LLC

im sending an email to RR. if i can i will port their answer as soon as i get it.

thank again to all of you.

Update 10/11/2010

i send two emails to rr, but they only send me auto-responses :(

The Wireless Network is now down.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

I've got to tell you, that is a strange deal right there. If the restaurant doesn't have wifi, which I'm sure you'd know, then I would think it would be VERY odd for the next door neighbor to name their wireless network after the restaurant and leave it wide open.

To answer you question, yes people can use those open wireless networks to capture people's data and do bad things. They are sometimes set up around airports or other busy places and they are sometimes called "honey pots".

I'm far from a networking expert and I'm sure some other guys will chime in but, I'd suggest installing something Net Stumbler, which can show you all the wireless signals your pc is picking up and their signal strength as you walk around. It might help give you an idea of where it's coming from. Just a thought. www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Please post back and keep us updated, this is very interesting....

It is rather interesting ..

And if anything bad did happen while they where on this wireless, the customers/clients of the restaurant will automatically blame you (the restaurant) even if you tell them that you don't have wireless, they still won't believe you.

Is there such a device that exists that blocks wifi signals in a certain area ?

Good luck getting into the router as well. I know on my own router, and a few of my clients, have it on block for access except when connected via ethernet.

Let us know as the story unfolds ..

Is there such a device that exists that blocks wifi signals in a certain area ?

Like all radio signals, it can be jammed. However, you'd need to be certain of the relevant laws in your area. Jamming radio signals is illegal in most places.

There is always the option of incorporating a fermi cage into the walls if you're very determined and rather wealthy. But it's not exactly what I would call practical. lol

I'm pretty sure those are the only options for blocking the signal without actually finding it and shutting it down.

Post a sign explaining the situation and also check with your ISP, this stinks to high heaven and any ISP should deal with it promptly. Even if it is a different provider than your restaurant, they will still investigate, they take the privacy and security of customers very seriously.

You should definitely post something in your restaurant letting people know that you are not providing the wifi. Saves the hassle of someone trying to blame you for any potential drama they incur by using the connection. And it is very easy to access data from systems of those using free wifi. I've often stayed in hotels with wifi where I've been able to access everything on the systems of other users. They have one setting for wifi regardless of what they're connected to. They don't realize that when they turn on file sharing, if they don't do it correctly, they're a sitting duck when they connect to a public network.

As far as stopping it, you should be able to connect to the open network and see what your IP is showing as. This will let you know the ISP of the person broadcasting the signal. I would definitely contact that ISP and let them know someone is broadcasting open wifi using your name. Trademark infringement aside, the TOS of most ISP's don't allow you to open your connection to the public. They're probably your best bet.

As far as stopping it, you should be able to connect to the open network and see what your IP is showing as. This will let you know the ISP of the person broadcasting the signal. I would definitely contact that ISP and let them know someone is broadcasting open wifi using your name. Trademark infringement aside, the TOS of most ISP's don't allow you to open your connection to the public. They're probably your best bet.

Yes good idea. Connect to it then connect to say www.whatsmyip.org. Get the ip and put it on the end of this url and get the isp from that.

http://whois.domaintools.com/70.85.217.130

Connect to it and begin non-stop downloading of music, games & movie torrents.

Then let the RIAA take care of it. :p

Very interesting story here. I'll abstain from giving my input for now as plenty of good suggestions have already been made. Keep us up to date on this one!

if it is a wide open network. get on it, run a trace to find out the ISP and go there with this situation. While you are at it, disable that router XD

Get on the network and see if you can log into the router. If you can, fix things and lock it down. Of course, they'll have physical access so can do a hard reset but you can also check the router logs and see if you can narrow down a machine name on a wired connection.

It's worth a shot.

Or you can upload a 3rd party firmware killer utility such as the one for DD-WRT on the rogue router, effectively disabling it :)

Back