Touch screen, webcam stopped working, being detected.

Romaniac

Reaction score
Howdy,

Device:
HP Pavilion 15-ck075nr
Windows 10 Home
Version: 1709
OS Build: had 16299.334. Uninstalled some updates though; see below.

Issue:
Client reports webcam and touch screen became non-responsive.
The realization they stopped working came about 3 weeks ago, but in the few previous weeks, the laptop was lightly used - so, the issue could have started before.

Troubleshooting/Attempted fixes:
- Snappy Driver Installer. However, it doesn't even detect a webcam or touch screen. It's mostly thermal
- System Restore has only a couple of entries for some reason, and they're from the last couple days.

- Windows Update history had some updates from February 27 (and that's as far back as history went). I uninstalled the older ones first... and then the more recent ones. I think 4 were 'removable', and 3 were not by conventional uninstall method (KB4078408 and KB 4054022). KB4090914 was/is also installed mid March. KB4089848 (apparently supersedes the others) was installed before the others were removed, but did not fix anything. I uninstalled 3-4 of the updates, and still nothing.

- Device Manager does not show a webcam or touch screen. Hardware scan revealed no new devices.
The Human Interface Device category has only 2 entries (wireless radio control and wireless button driver); and that seems like way too few entries as this category usually has quite a few.
Sound, video and game controllers had just sound drivers.

I enabled 'show hidden devices' and I also ran the 'show non present devices' command; made sure hidden devices was still enabled. Nada.

It's like they have been physically removed.

I appreciate any help!

Do the USB ports work?

I don't know about this particular model but some machines have both touchscreen and webcam connected internally via USB, and anything that breaks USB will break those as well.

"Anything" includes KB4074588, which came out on 13th February and has been a bundle of fun ever since.

Thanks guys.

It was taking forever, and the client knew enough to do a re-install/reset; so they'll try that. I did tell them it could be a hardware issue, even if the laptop was only 3 months old. I asked them to let me know what happens. At this point, I kind of wish Win10 is the culprit.

I mostly use a paid version of Parted Magic to check stuff, but I'm not sure I ever checked webcam functionality on it - or if it even has that.

What do you guys use that can be stored on USB or DVD? Ubuntu? Any touch-screen functionality? (@backwoodsman ; @Markverhyden )

Mark - nice catch. That was one of my guesses that they shared some component, but I found it unlikely... oops; And there's video on it too! da f! Video worked fine, though, but I understand that doesn't necessarily mean it's all good.

@Computer Bloke - interesting. I was in the process of removing another one and it was taking forever.

Does the mic work? The mic is part of the webcam module.

Also from the service manual:
L04970-001 – For use only on computer models equipped with a TouchScreen display assembly and an infrared webcam/microphone module
L04972-001 – For use only on computer models equipped with a TouchScreen display assembly and a non-infrared webcam/microphone module

Maybe an issue with the cable assembly? Maybe open it up and check connections. Boot up a linux cd or winpe as well and see if the hardware is there for the webcam and touchscreen.

What do you guys use that can be stored on USB or DVD? Ubuntu? Any touch-screen functionality?
For drive diagnostics and partitioning, I generally use SystemRescueCD. Depending on what else I have to do, sometimes I use an Ubuntu respin with Trinity Desktop Environment; among other reasons, the graphical File Size View its file manager has is handy for seeing where disk space is being used.

Reactions: NJW
Back