Synology Assistant can't detect NAS

RetiredGuy1000

Reaction score
I have tuned off my Firewall.
I have turned off AntiVirus
File and printer sharing is ON

Still, I cannot see my NAS using Synology Assistant. This is on Computer 1, a laptop connecting via WIFI.

Computer 2, a desktop hardwired to the switch, does see the NAS for some reason.

Computer 1 needs help finding it's NAS. Can you help Computer 1?

P2P network.

I didn't even know there was such thing as a "Synology Assistant". What's the purpose of it?

I've used dozens of Synology NAS units but I've always just used the web interface to configure them.

You don't really do that much 'configuring' with the Assistant. Basically, it just finds your NAS on the LAN. It says it helps you install DSM - but the easy way to do that is just to get the NAS out of the box and turn it on...

Ah. Seems a bit superfluous in that case. I find the IP like I do any other new network device, via the router or DHCP server (or just scan for it). Sounds like it doesn't do anything that can't be done from the web interface.

That's pretty much what I do too - the Assistant is pretty basic IIRC, and if you want to configure RAID options and so on, you need to go the web route. I'm still using an ancient copy of netscan for finding stuff on networks. It's been around ages, but just keeps doing what it says it does...

I would say the main use case for any assistant or discovery tool is if the device has a static IP that is not part of the subnet you are on. Then you can use the tool to change the IP or set it to DHCP.

It's windows based software to help find and manage the NAS. It is mostly just a front end for the NAS web interface itself.

There's Mac and Ubuntu versions as well. I always install it on a client machine. If nothing it makes it much easier for me troubleshoot over the phone. More than once I've had Synology devices loose their static maps.

A good praactice for synology is to create an account and register the clients devices, that way you can actually connect to the device (if configured) remotely without having to connect to the client network, and you can also setup a weekly report of how is it doing ;)

Back