Stumped by Asus Bios

Thank you both.
So, Alex, would you install the OS and then use some system information utility to pull the ACPI table value?
It should activate automatically upon connection the the internet, if it doesnt (or you just want to check) you can go to settings > update & security > Activation and it displays the activation info there

Don't feel bad about forgetting to include things in the quote I've been at this for some time and still have instances where I forget.

Quoted a cabling job where initially they wanted cat5e then it was switched to cat6 Plenum. Well I updated the description but forgot to change the pricing to reflect the new product I lost a lot of money on that goof

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

For future reference, 9 times out of 10, if it comes up as wrong boot device, (and the bios is set to the correct order) it's the hard drive failing or failed.

What you can do in these situations, is yank the drive(easy if it's a single panel) slave it to your test machine, and run drive diagnostics.

I do that all the time with clients.

If I have to strip it, I tell them I can't do it whilst they wait.

It usually fails, or gut instinct says its failing I go into upsell mode and get them onto a ssd. And say they can have it back following day.

If it has windows 8 or 10 already installed on it, it will activate automatically.

So far so good. I told him that the bill was $50 bucks and he paid. Already had a brand new HP All-in-one in the back of his car. Super guy. He is kind of a do-it-yourselfer with computers it seems. Just when the bios gets squirrely, so does he. So he called me.

At least marketing is working somewhat although I still feel awareness of me is very low. Website and google seem to blow away Facebook. My print ad should be out any day now. Two clients this week. looking for more next...

This one was a doozey! My first all-in-one, which is a tough repair I think compared to a desktop or laptop even. I guess it depends on the All-in-one. Thanks to all my mentors on here! I couldn't have done the repair without you. Learned tons.

computers-computer_repair-processing-repair_jobs-bills-billed-rcln403_low.jpg

:D One of my favourite cartoons that works both ways you've confirmed the machine works and you got paid ;)

Laptops can be hit and miss all my Lenovo's I run I can get to a hard drive by removing a single screw.

Then there are others that require the removing of keyboards or a million pressure clips.

Had a Toshiba a little while ago that had about 25 screws I needed to remove to get to the hard drive.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Your threads concern me. Do you have any computer repair experience?
He is inexperienced yes but has a great attitude and I am offering my help by phone anytime. I know in the past I have been critical about new members laking experience and have reached to some and Andrew has been receptive to assistance and guidance.

It akes time to develop techniques and policys to deal with this job. I think he has potential.

I myself am guilty of forgetting the purpose of these forums.

Your threads concern me. Do you have any computer repair experience?
You have to ask if I experience? Of course I don’t have experience as a tech. Where would I go about getting that experience? College?

I’ve jumped in head first. Largely because there is no training anywhere to be found. From a skill standpoint, my training is based in the area of financial planning. That was my career for 20 years until my disability. Now, this is my career.

I’ve built a few computers but there is much to still learn as you adeptly pointed out.

I’m as experienced today in tech as I was experienced with selling life insurance in 1991. I knew nothing back then. But..I had a suit, tie, and $200 Allen Edmonds. And I had a work ethic that would make you fear for your job if I worked next to you. This is no different.

And I was ‘new agent of the year’ back then as well as ‘agent of the year’ in the same year! I blew away not just the newbies, but the veterans like yourself.

My knowledge increases every day. The good news is that I have a 15 year plan. I’m only 50. And, thankfully, I have income coming in every month. It would be nice to apprentice in a shop for a year but I don't have that luxury.

@RetiredGuy1000 You mentioned earlier that you got into the BIOS by 'pounding' the F2 key. Be aware that some BIOS's have a separate key for boot options. I haven't looked up what ASUS use, but often it's F12 or sometimes 'ESC'

The only way in was F2. Otherwise there was a perpetually-repeating message that the boot device can’t be found. You needed to control-alt-del to get past that and then F2.

Seems F1 was also an option. Can’t recall now as my memory has faded.

Way to be supportive guys. Everyone can learn something new. Who didnt stumble when they were first starting out? This guy listens to ideas plus uses the advise given. I have been on here more because of him. To help and usually learn something from someone else. People were here for me when i first found technibble. I knew a bunch about computers(probably not as much as i thought) but the business end needed a lot of help. Glad no one questioned me then. This is a great place for techs from just starting to very seasoned.

@Rosco I don't mind helping but check the section this is in.. Admitting Zero experience in a zone where anyone can see well take a guess what happens on search results after some time things show up when you don't want them there? Me I don't care I learned by destroying more pc's and equipment that I can count just got in this beauty to dismantle...

machine-crire-lectrique-star-writer-jet-550-c-canon-20171104175915.jpg

A 1990 Canon star writer 550c this thing has a floppy port and built in printer / typewriter... so for me electrical zaps and doing everything possible to donated equipment I get I do , I seriously should have a YouTube channel called : "Can I destroy it" but one thing I've learned there is no way in hell I'm making a client a gunny pig.I'll gladly help someone to avoid catastrophic situation.

I have no problem telling a client I have no clue on what a problem is but if he or she wants me to research a solution I will else wise I\ll try to find someone who can do the job... heck last time I couldn't get a android app to synch for a security cam tool the funny part is I got help by the soda delivery guy by fluke he had over listened at their warehouse about a same issue and well seems it pays to pay attention cause he solved me the issue with a missing check-mark in the software. So in all I don't mind helping but if your going to test things don't do any work what-so-ever at a clients place and post in Tech Eyes Only section to avoid embarrassments or complicated explanations.

... pound f2 and get into BIOS.
With most (all?) modern PCs, you don't need to tap the access key repeatedly, just keep it pressed when starting. You do have to start from 'completely off', which means either switching off fast boot or using Shift-Shutdown from within Windows (or the Windows sign-on screen).

Shift-Restart will take you to the Windows 10 recovery stuff, including advanced options, where you can set restart options such as Safe Mode, etc.

Can’t recall now as my memory has faded.
Make copious notes. I use a desktop wiki, which means I can search for keywords now that it has grown to beyond simply browsing for stuff. I have a page with boot key options by brand.

Back