Stumped by Asus Bios

RetiredGuy1000

Reaction score
i have a client who cannot get into Windows 10.

Initial boot says “reboot and select proper boot sequence or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”

I can then Boot to Windows 10 CD if I want to.
Or
I can cntrl-alt-del to pound f2 and get into BIOS.

But, when I am in Bios. under the Boot settings, there is no sequence choice for me to select. This case looks like one where his boot sequence is wrong. Maybe he has the PC booting to the DVD drive, maybe a USB flash drive....either way, I cannot tell because this ASUS Bios is not like any bios I have seen.

By the way, the last Bios was updated in 2014. So, should I try and flash the new bios somehow?

I also can boot to my Windows 10 CD. I can 'repair' or 'reinstall'. Under the 'repair' option, the computer does not let me do anything as it says it cant find an image file(for example) or it cant find thtsequence for me? e disk that the restore point is usually found.

Something is screwy here. I loaded my Boot CDs that have various programs but I couldnt tell if any were applicable here.

Question: WHat if I just reinstall WIndows 10 on top of itself? Would that recreate a healthy boot sequence for me? No loss of files or folders?

Leave HDD primary plugged in unplug everything else, also what caused him to lose the Windows 10? I know yesterday I uninstalled a service pack by force crashing windows 10 (multiple reboots forced) to get to the troubleshooting menu.

The key question is what did the client do before it stopped...?

Question is what do you actually see in the BIOS? message sounds very much no boot device was found, not perse a Windows issue. So, in BIOS is there at least the hard disk? Work the chain. Start at beginning. First thing that is needed is a hard disk.

i have a client who cannot get into Windows 10.

Initial boot says “reboot and select proper boot sequence or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”

I can then Boot to Windows 10 CD if I want to.
Or
I can cntrl-alt-del to pound f2 and get into BIOS.

But, when I am in Bios. under the Boot settings, there is no sequence choice for me to select. This case looks like one where his boot sequence is wrong. Maybe he has the PC booting to the DVD drive, maybe a USB flash drive....either way, I cannot tell because this ASUS Bios is not like any bios I have seen.

By the way, the last Bios was updated in 2014. So, should I try and flash the new bios somehow?

I also can boot to my Windows 10 CD. I can 'repair' or 'reinstall'. Under the 'repair' option, the computer does not let me do anything as it says it cant find an image file(for example) or it cant find thtsequence for me? e disk that the restore point is usually found.

Something is screwy here. I loaded my Boot CDs that have various programs but I couldnt tell if any were applicable here.

Question: WHat if I just reinstall WIndows 10 on top of itself? Would that recreate a healthy boot sequence for me? No loss of files or folders?

Sounds like you might have a bad hard drive anyways. I'd give that a test before you move forward.

Windows 8 and forward uses UEFI which disables legacy boot options. I don't really understand what UEFI is I just know how to work with it.

First test the drive, if you can't test it with the drive in the system drop it into a test system and test it that way then possibly image the drive to preserve it (your call).

I've found that if you can't repair the install using the built-in Windows 10 repair options, you usually wont (Windows 10 is on lock-down compared to Windows 7).

More than likely if I was in your case I'd give it an hour of troubleshooting then recommend an SSD + reinstall + data transfer (if it's worth it).

Download an up to date image of Windows 10 using the Windows ISO Downloader Tool (https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool)

And create a bootable USB image using Rufus: (https://rufus.ie/)

Then you're off!

"Windows 8 and forward uses UEFI which disables legacy boot options"

I run Windows 10 with legacy BIOS.

"Windows 8 and forward uses UEFI which disables legacy boot options"

I run Windows 10 with legacy BIOS.

Right, you can run legacy boot options but on (i believe) all mass manufactured computers legacy boot is disabled on delivery.

Sounds like the bios isn't set to boot from the correct source of start looking for secure boot vs legacy boot and see what his boot sequence is like.

Sometimes the boot sequence options can be several layers deep and can require some searching

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Ironically just a question is the time in the BIOS correct if not possible that the client's problem started with a dead battery that reset the settings to default.

no boot device but you can boot to windows 10 cd? sounds like bad hard drive to me. Back up right away the more time you spend trying to get it to work could be lost time to get the data back. This could be a great time to start getting you diagnostic procedure in order.

You didn't mention what model this computer is if it is an ASUS or what the motherboard is if it's a custom built.

The boot settings are there in the BIOS.

It's possible it was set the UEFI boot and the BIOS reverted back to legacy boot. Enabling UEFI boot might get it booting.

How I would approach this:
Computer says no boot device

Possible causes:
1) Drive not connected
2) BIOS settings wrong
3) HDD failure

Pretty much first thing I would just pull the drive and hook up to my bench computer and test it make sure it was good. Also check if its MBR or GPT, and check if the partitions are ok.

Then check bios settings make sure UEFI boot is enabled if its GPT, make sure the HDD isn't excluded from the boot options. If it's UEFI you should see Windows Boot Manager in the boot list.

Sadly.....in many respects....the hard drive indeed has bit the dust. But my $390 bill didn't fly either. He is going to buy "the best of the best" Chalk this one right up to education. I should have quoted him before I tore up the computer. Oh well, you learn and then you learn some more.

Luckily for me, Porthos guided me through the diagnosis..the whole way. What a trooper he is. Really knows his stuff. I can't thank him enough. Now I can say that I have torn apart a all-in-one (And now I know what to avoid).

I wanted that sale though. I'm just going to get my diagnosis fee . I guess. Fifty bucks.

By best of the best he means he is going to go to best buy and buy the lowest priced unit he can find for $350.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I guess. Fifty bucks.
Just about my charge, Ask him to donate the computer to cover the Diag and travel fee. As I told Andrew, This AIO is not bad, Actually has native connectors for 2 HDD's and not real hard to open. If it was given to me I could put it to use or sell it.

I had a gut feeling when we spoke that it would not surprise me if he backed out and would not fix it but we discussed that and how "I" weed those ones out. :rolleyes:

I know you are chalking a lot of this up to learning but be careful about burning yourself too much catering to every need unless you are being compensated for it.

I know you are chalking a lot of this up to learning but be careful about burning yourself too much catering to every need unless you are being compensated for it.

Oh I am, to a degree I guess. I did present a $390 bill. So I have that going for me.
I'm just operating with a occupationally low level of experience and knowledge. Otherwise, I would have quoted first to see if he agrees or balks.

Another error I made is not providing for the estimated cost of the new OS. He had no disk and his hard disk is fried. Plus the back of the PC says WIndows 8 although he said he upgraded to 10. He likely needs to buy a license. oops.

I still have to look at this as an opportunity. After all, the guy lives in my neighborhood. Taken at face value, he prolly just wants a new computer and doesn't want to throw $400 towards a five year old PC. He did say he would give it to his sister(with no hard drive). Love ya Sis! lol. It would be up to her to fix and she lives in Jacksonville, some 5 hours away. He declined to fix it for her for a smaller charge if I put in a smaller SSD and waived a labor charge. That fee was $300. Still no.

So he will pick up tomorrow. Super nice guy though. I'm, firstly looking to avoid any negative review but shooting for five stars. Maybe he will throw me a bone with a good review. You can either live or die with a postive/negative neighborhood review where I live

Another error I made is not providing for the estimated cost of the new OS. He had no disk and his hard disk is fried. Plus the back of the PC says WIndows 8 although he said he upgraded to 10. He likely needs to buy a license. oops.
It did not need a new license for 2 reasons in this case...
1. Windows 10 was already installed before the drive died.
2. Win 8 or newer was the OS it shipped with.

firstly looking to avoid any negative review
Best case.
but shooting for five stars.
In this case do not even mention reviews to him. It WILL NOT end up being 5 stars. Never ask for a review UNLESS you can fully resolve and fix an issue and not just tell them what is wrong. You would be better off with no review than anything less than 5.

From windows 8 the windows license is a digital license stored in the ACPI table which is accessible by the UEFI/BIOS so unless a major hardware change such as a motherboard replacement you wouldnt need to buy another key, just get the windows iso file which you can download from microsoft

Back