Structured Data

Rigo

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Does the structured data thing have something to do with having content structured with headings ~ H1, H2, ..etc. or is this something totally different that needs to be setup as well?
Any enlightenment really appreciated :)
Rigo

Thanks Folks,
After doing all the reading, I found out Yoast SEO Premium is supposed to automatically apply all the required tagging to get this done with.
Along the lines also how to use the Google Structured Data tool to check for possible issues.
Issues it did find, 141 hreview errors. Everything else OK.
Reached out to Yoast support about and they said after checking, the tagging had not been applied by Yoast but by my theme. I do have a Premium subscription.
Well my theme was developed by a web design Co using Underscore_s - from my limited understanding a custom theme building tool?
Haven't dealt with them for the last 1.5 years at least.
1) - So I have to work out how to resolve these hreview errors myself? Any suggestion highly welcome.
2) - How do I go about freeing up the theme so Yoast can do it's job I'm paying for to help simplify my life?
3) - Hoping I won't have to re-develop the whole thing to get around points 1 and 2! Scary .
Highly appreciate any suggestion/direction .

Attachments

• Google Structure Data Testing Tool.JPG
    Google Structure Data Testing Tool.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 3
Hi folks,
I've managed to work out the source of my pain is the plugin Testimonial Rotator.
One of the settings options: Hide Microdata (hreview) - was set On. When I set it Off the total hreview errors dropped from 141 to 49.
hreview 47 errors (there are 47 testimonials)
hreview-aggregate 2 errors ~ 1 item
Any suggestion how I could setup correctly the other options that might be creating the problems to get around these?
Unless I might be looking at the wrong wall.
If this is hopeless, would appreciate suggestions for alternative well-behaving testimonials rotator please.
Googling didn't help

Attachments

• Testimonials Rotator Options.JPG
    Testimonials Rotator Options.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
Well,
I've doggedly been chewing at this and now have whittled down my errors to just 2 from 1 single item about hreview-aggregate missing values.
The hreview-aggregate thing seems to be automatically added to the first testimonial entry by the plugin. Deleted the first one to check and indeed it was transferred to the next one! So it's looks like I need to get into the site code to remove it?
Google Structured Data Testing Tool brings up what appears to be the full site code and shows where the problems are, mess around, test and confirm what needs to be done.
Unfortunately can't apply the solution from there!
For the life of me I've spent hours and just can't get into the code I see in the Testing Tool to edit it .
Please help if you can!

upload_2020-1-22_19-17-36.png

Stuff like this is why I hand code all my sites (see below). However, does any or all of those errors render your site useless? Probably not. Visitors would probably not even care so long as they see what they came there to see.

sdddd.jpg

Stuff like this is why I hand code all my sites (see below). However, does any or all of those errors render your site useless? Probably not. Visitors would probably not even care so long as they see what they came there to see.

It's not the visitors I'm doing all that for. From my understanding they wouldn't be exposed to all that c**p Google is forcing us to go through to get a chance to be seen.
Neat coding on your site by the way, I haven't got those skills as I wouldn't be able to sell them to my market.
I need to be able to access this code to handpick and edit just what needs to. If you could show me the way you'd be the champ!

If you could show me the way you'd be the champ!
I found your problem.

Your endings are incomplete.

Take the first 5 lines..

Code:
<!doctype html><html
lang=en-AU><head><meta
charset=UTF-8><meta
name=viewport content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"><link
rel=profile href=http://gmpg.org/xfn/11><link

It should ALL look like this with correct endings...

<!doctype html><html>
lang=en-AU><head><meta>
charset=UTF-8><meta>
name=viewport content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1"><link>
rel=profile href=http://gmpg.org/xfn/11><link>

Highlighted
in red for you. Its like that all the way down your page. There is something wrong with your WP not finishing up the trails as its rendering code. Without actually checking all the settings and seeing the backend, there is nothing I can do. My only advise is to actually do a site backup and reinstall WP on its own, then add all your content. Once everything works, pull another backup after EACH WP addon you add until you see errors viewing the code (right click, view source). Once you see the errors, you'll know which addon is causing it and you'll know either not to use it, or find an alternative if there isi no updated addon.

you'll know which addon is causing it and you'll know either not to use it, or find an alternative if there isi no updated addon
Thanks for taking the time to sift through the code for the errors, to me it would have looked all the same o_O!
I believe the source of the problem to be the "Testimonial Rotator" plugin. I might be wrong?
Although the developer is still updating it (Last Updated: 2 months ago) there have been a lot of questions from users about fixing 'hreview' related issues. Same as what I'm experiencing. He never answered any one of them going back quite a few years, and there are very recent requests as well still left unanswered/unaddressed.
So I definitely need to get rid of it although it seems to be very good and stable for all the rest. It's tagging automatically the posts and there is no options to disable that feature.
I've been researching other options but even the paid ones in the WP repository seem to have issues one way or another from the reviews/questions posted about them.
I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who could suggest a tested and stable alternative so I can dump this one! Free would be cool if possible :cool:.
After replacing it, would be great if you show me how to get into the code to hunt for the errors you've pointed out :D.
Thanks again mate :)

Thanks for taking the time to sift through the code for the errors,
Not a problem. I've helped several friends on here fix their sites.
I've been researching other options
Pick your poison here. :D
After replacing it, would be great if you show me how to get into the code to hunt for the errors you've pointed out
I have been building websites for 20+ years. I've had many, many times that it took me hours to find and fix errors. But it's a learning process and things change over time. I'll be honest, and several on here know as well that I don't like WP. Yes I've used it, built a few sites with it, but I just don't like it. I am more of an hands on - fingers to keyboard - designer. If I have to have a client be able to edit their own site, I shift them to Wix or use Couch - which I adore.

several friends on here
Hoping to be one of those some day ;).
Well, although I haven't pursued that line I remember the days at computer school learning Dreamweaver - the tool you had to have for web design. Can't remember the loathed other one from MS in those days, and htm on Notepad :D. Yes I haven't got practical experience because I decided to go Hardware, Networking and Applications, but I'm not quite totally clueless.
I initially built my site on Divi. When I started wanting to do certain things that required css customisations I looked for someone for help. He ended up steering away from Divi and came up with a custom theme developed from Underscore_s (he didn't tell me, I found out).
Forget Wix - that's for people who buy Macs :eek:.
Had a look at the Couch ~ what would it give me that'd be superior to my current theme? Speed? Simplicity in adding/modifying elements? Is there something similar to plugins?
I had a look at the back end but wasn't able to find the files I'd need to edit. I know about the developer tools for editing/testing the pages, but as it cannot be saved (well I couldn't find how to) it's not the right way to go about it. So yeah, would be real grateful if you the right tool and way to get around the errors ~ always learning;).
The rotator plugin thing is quite concerning too :(, reading the comments about the other options. We've got a say in my country that translate roughly like: "Trying to step over the poo, trip and fall into the anus" :oops:. Don't know whether the order in the repository has any meaning but the one I've currently got is the one at the top of the list :eek:! And the developer can't care less about calls for help getting around problems his tool is introducing into people's codes:(. There is no option to disable hreview support whether one wants the feature or not:mad:.

Can't remember the loathed other one from MS in those days
Front Page is what your referring to.
what would it give me that'd be superior to my current theme? Speed? Simplicity in adding/modifying elements? Is there something similar to plugins?
No plugins. However, is quite easy code eccentric. Couch is a CMS thats built for easy editing, additions, etc. without all the bloat and BS of WP. You could also look at Joomla or Drupal as well as an alternative to WP.

Front Page
Yeah, that's the one!
Still trying to find out how to fix my problem, I came across this one from this discussion (https://wordpress.org/support/topic/structured-data-tool-gives-error/) about some Google policy changes:
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2019/09/making-review-rich-results-more-helpful.html ~ potentially the reason why the plugin maybe having some hiccups if they're trying to deal with stars ratings.
So according to this the reviews we collect on our websites will no longer be used in rich snippets anymore, if I understand it right.
We're not allowed to advertise for third party computer repairs and IT support and so.
Then the reviews we collect are downgraded for the purpose of highlighting our ranking. Not everyone has Gmail or Android when it comes to giving us reviews.
It's not like we're getting warned when things like that happen. Only find out after getting whacked and trying to find out where from.
Sorry for the rant :mad:.

I would disable the WP addon, wait a few hours for it to propagate over the interwebs and then test your site again. If the problem goes away, then you know you cannot use the addon. If it persists, then deactivate addons until it doesn't. Once it doesn't throw errors, then you'll know which addon to remove.

Thanks for the advice Rob,
Disabled and will wait to see what happens.
However some damage has already been done to the code and might still need to be addressed?

No errors, just tested now.
So the errors were dynamically inserted when the plugin was active.
I'll have to find another way to display my testimonials now.
Thanks mate, one thorn out of my foot :D

Back