Securing our websites

Rigo

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
With all the hijacking/ransomware threats getting more and more sophisticated and efficient, what can we do to not become the next victim with a website open for all to see?
How can we secure our websites?

I would recommend using a CDN like Cloudflare. They have a free account and is easy to setup. Also, for example if your site uses Wordpress, make sure to keep all plugins and theme updated. Only use plugins that are updated on a regular basis by their author.

Great tips folks :),
Will do.
About the Cloudflare option, I would prefer to keep my current hosting arrangement but harden up my security options.

Great tips folks :),
Will do.
About the Cloudflare option, I would prefer to keep my current hosting arrangement but harden up my security options.
Cloudflare is not a hosting company, it’s a Content Delivery Network. It caches your site in case your actual server goes down and has DDOS protection along with other security features.

My site is crap... largely because I'm terrible at web stuff and I refuse to work with web people that don't have their brains screwed in.

But I've been working on a new site, based on Hugo. I've found it harder two work with than Wordpress, but the site when published is all static HTML content. Which can be stuffed into a CDN for pennies, and has next to no defacement potential.

If you want to protect your site, stop using database driven CMSs to develop it. There are simply better things out there now.

Use a custom login page as well, if you are using WordPress.
I use https://en-au.wordpress.org/plugins/wps-hide-login/

Regards,
Thanks mate,
When I went to install the plugin you suggested, I checked another one that seemed to include its features + some and ended up installing the alternative - All In One WP Security.
I haven't activated all its features yet. One of them - locking up login on failed attempts - has given some results I'm now trying to make sense ~ someone here hopefully would have a better clue than a newbie like me.:confused:
A sample summary of the results is in the attached file ~ what are these organisations trying to log into my backend for?:(
Or are there crooks using them as a channel to do no goods?

Attachments

• Blocked Login IP.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 4
Thanks mate,
When I went to install the plugin you suggested, I checked another one that seemed to include its features + some and ended up installing the alternative - All In One WP Security.
I haven't activated all its features yet. One of them - locking up login on failed attempts - has given some results I'm now trying to make sense ~ someone here hopefully would have a better clue than a newbie like me.:confused:
A sample summary of the results is in the attached file ~ what are these organisations trying to log into my backend for?:(
Or are there crooks using them as a channel to do no goods?
You're very popular! ;)

I've been using WP Cerber Security and I'm very happy with it. It has the option to block access to wp-login.php and/or a custom login page that was mentioned as well as a bunch of other good security tools.

Hi folks,
Could someone please help understand whether a login attempt from this is legitimate? For what purpose?
216.64.199.35.bc.googleusercontent.com
Would really be grateful just in case this is not supposed to get blocked.

Shouldn't worry about it. My WordPress sites are regularly hit by attacks running into the hundreds over a period of approx one week. Personally, I use Wordfence as my main security and that seems to do the trick (really wishing I hadn't said that...) You can find out about googleusercontent here.

Back