Screen becomes fuzzy, lines appear, and computer freezes - weird!

ClickRight

Reaction score
I have a client that is complaining that his computer will freeze. Shortly before it freezes, the screen starts getting fuzzy, and lines appear. (I'm going by his description here, I never saw it) He said it occurred more often when it was hot, but it had done it twice yesterday and it wasn't all that hot.

There is no video card, the graphics card is integrated on the (K8m400? motherboard. Sorry, I don't have the details on my atm, I'll try and post them later.)

First thing I did was open the case and inspect. The system was nice and clean and all fans working. Motherboard shows no signs of damage (no blown caps, etc.) I opened up Linx to do a stress test, temps were good, and no freezing. I left it running for a good 10 mins, and it was warm in the room, but not hot.

I ended up hooking my volt meter up to the PSU, the 12v rail was putting out 12.88v, which is over spec. It was some cheap Y2K brand PSU, so I swapped it for a new 400W unit. I worked on the computer for another 1.25 hours doing other various tasks, with no issues or freezing.

Any ideas as to what may be causing the issue if it continues?

Last edited:
I would go back into the BIOS and see if you can pull up the temp on it. Let it run something good that will work up the CPU first.

If the temp is borderline "very hot" then it could be this guy is sticking it under a desk or something and its recirculating the hot air and is enough to make it go flakey but you cannot do it because you are leaving it in the open.

It really does sound like a heat issue. Also ask him if it will do it for anything or only if he is using certain software. If it is heat see if you can find the RPM on the cpu fan, if its slow a faster one might fix this problem. Over time fans do go slower sometimes and it's not noticeable without some way to read the RPM's.

I would go back into the BIOS and see if you can pull up the temp on it. Let it run something good that will work up the CPU first.

If the temp is borderline "very hot" then it could be this guy is sticking it under a desk or something and its recirculating the hot air and is enough to make it go flakey but you cannot do it because you are leaving it in the open.

It really does sound like a heat issue. Also ask him if it will do it for anything or only if he is using certain software. If it is heat see if you can find the RPM on the cpu fan, if its slow a faster one might fix this problem. Over time fans do go slower sometimes and it's not noticeable without some way to read the RPM's.

Thanks. The CPU never got above 40c running Linx. The case is in a well ventilated area as well.

Those Via graphics chips have problems all the time. After checking the temps, try a cheap graphics card to see if that solves the problem.

Back