redirected folders help

4ycr

Reaction score
**SOLVED** redirected folders help

I am having trouble setting up a new redircted folder on a new server.

I have checked the share permissions, for testing I have reduced them to everyone full control

NTFS permissions are
Creator owner full control
Everyone Full control this folder only
System Full control

Inheritance has been disabled on the users$ folder

The existing redirected folder is on a win 2k3 server and I am moving it to server 2012.

When logging in it creates the 4ycr directory, and the documents folder. Within the documents folder it creates the My video, My Pictures & My Music folders.

I get the below error for the documents folder and the desktop but there is no desktop folder

EventData

FromFolder Documents
ToFolder \\SERVER2\Users$\4ycr\Documents
Options 0x9211
Error Folder can not move because there is non redirectable folder at the same path
ErrorDetails Access is denied.

I can manually copy my files and create new files in my redirected folder

Checking the security I am the owner and I have full control for this folder only

Anyone got more ideas as I have tried goggling ant the error message does not lead to anything useful that I could see and the error code was mainly user persmissions

Last edited:
One way I check the permissions from a server...under ADUC, the user, the Profile tab...in the Home Folder box. Pick an unused drive letter to map, like "P", and map it to \\SERVER2\Users$\4ycr\
You should get a dialogue box about "are you sure you wish to give blah blah permissions"...

Often that reseals the permissions properly.

I actually just ran into something similar recently.

It turned out to be the NTFS permissions. After fixing that, I still had the problem. My fix was to go into the computers that had already downloaded that particular user's profile and remove the profile. Then check the registry to make sure there are no left over strings.

Login to the profile again, then check event viewer for the error.

Was onsite today and thought I would update you.

I can map a drive to both the old redirected folder on server1 and the new one in server2 with no errors. I can create files and folders in both but no changes show when done on server2

I created 2 new test accounts and they populated fine with no errors. I deselected move files but made no difference. I have also tried having grant exclusive rights and the redirection policy for windows 2000... etc. both on and off together.

I got this solved. After some digging about I went into the registry to both these locations

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
I could see the ones that had not moved as they were still pointing to the old server. in my case it was desktop, contacts and personal.
I just renamed these entries in the registry so they could be recreated and when they were all the folder redirection worked.

When testing this out I did export the original settings just encase it messed up.

Back