Resource icon

Quick guide on building *nix based Unifi Controller at RackSpace

Technibble Support

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technibble Support submitted a new resource:

Quick guide on building *nix based Unifi Controller at RackSpace - Many of us here are enjoying Ubiquiti wireless hardware to install at our clients. Ubiquiti allows y

Many of us here are enjoying Ubiquiti wireless hardware to install at our clients. A nice feature of some "other" brands of wireless hardware, such as OpenMesh or Meraki is a centrally located "web portal" so you can easily manage all of your clients from a neutral location. Ubiquiti allows you to download/install their "controller" software for free, with perpetual updates. However, many people just install it locally on each clients network. And by default the Unifi access...

Read more about this resource...

This is a great tutorial. Is it possible to eliminate the reprogramming of the AP by putting a local DNS record that points "unifi" to your external site?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. So long as you didn't have a locally installed controller also broadcasting that.

I thought about this after posting and I think I may reconsider doing that. I'd be concerned if I had to move my UniFi controller somewhere that I may orphan the AP's and then have to go make a bunch of local DNS changes to get them talking again. With your solution, they already know where to go via hostname.

I have currently have an A record in my DNS pointing to my external unifi controller host on Amazon and works perfectly - only bad thing is I didn't think of it sooner and have about 10 sites deployed using the static IP from Amazon instead.

Excellent resource. My only wish, is IF this was more friendly with CentOS/RedHat. It would be less overhead. Sucks having to spool up another server instance to do this. I know it's doable, but I hate the idea that the CentOS version is limited and requires odd Java install.

Back