Processor Noises.

Jake

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks For Any Help in Advance.

Guys, I have bought a computer around 12 months ago. It is an Intel(r)Pentium(r) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2CPU's) With 521mb Ram And has Been making Alot of Noise Since owning it for around 6 months. i Have A Ge-Force 6600GT Video Card but it is not making the noise.
It only happens on days that are around 27 Degrees+ days and when i try to play games such as HL2 And CS Source... One time it even started to carry on Whilst my mum was playing Worms World party :eek: Just Wondering if any of this is normal or if i should take it back to the shop to get them to check it out...?

Thanks.

It is most likely the fans on either your video card or CPU. Make sure your computer is switched off, take off the side of your case, put your finger on the fan (preferably in the middle rather than the fan blades) so that it wont spin or unplug them if you know how to and power up the PC. This way you can determine wether its the video card or cpu fan.

As for it only happening on hot days or playing games, most newer motherboards monitor the temperature of the parts (in most cases the CPU fan, I dont think ive seen one monitor the video card) and increase the fan speed accordingly. So if you are playing a game, the computer gets hotter, the mobo detects this and spins the fan faster which is causing it to make noise.

This noise shouldnt be confused with the sound of a fan running fast though. If its making a whirring noise like air moving fast, then its probably fine, if its making a noise thats more crunchy like a dead ballbearing then I would definantly get it looked at.

Ta

Thanks Mate We took it apart (me and my sis's Bf) and found that it WAs the cpu fan and not the Video card its a weird noise though not like a ball bearing:eek: but more like a shhhhh but with a little bit of chuuurrrr :p Strange n e ways i relly ned to stop it or get my own computer cause i keep getting Kicked off on certain days when it makes these strange noises.

Back