Second Opinion is Needed

frederick

Reaction score
This has been an ongoing issue with Dell and one of my clients for the last 6-months. Please do not bash the Dell support, just hold your opinions to yourself please.

Clients Computer:
Dell Inc. Latitude 3540
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz (2.30GHz, 256KB Level 2 cache)
InsydeH2O Version 03.73.02A10: DELL - 1, A10
4,096 MB RAM
TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 SCSI Disk Device 465.76GB IDE

The errors are as follows:
Event ID: 18 Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Daily error, occurs randomly. Occurs at least once a day.
When these errors occur, there is usually a bug-check pointing to CPU (Internal_Power_Error), however there has not been a BSOD. System just reboots.​
Dell Power Manager (the application and service) is also constantly crashing.

When I was first made aware of this problem it was coming through the RMM. Then, the computer was only doing this when the laptop entered hibernation/sleep. Since then, it has become more prevalent. I took the laptop in, reproduced the results, and the only thing I was able to find as far as a in your face problem was that the Video Driver (AMD) was crashing. Re-installed the driver, and couldn't reproduce the results anymore. Problem fixed right? Either way, told her to keep an eye on it and call me as soon as something happens.

Very next day, her computer crashed twice with the above errors again. So not the video driver. Ok, take the laptop back in. She tells me what she was doing, how she was doing it, and everything else. Must have been with her for hours. Nothing. Day 3 of it being out of the shop, it happens again. After that, it's been random in both frequency and when it occurs. I took it back to the shop.

Can not find a problem, but I know it's hardware related. Advised customer to take it to Dell because it is under warranty.

The technician remotes in to her computer, can't find the errors. Even over the phone, pulling them up on desktop for him, he for whatever reason can not see the errors. So he decides to run the Dell diagnostic tool. It says the Dell Power Manager service is corrupted. So he uninstalls and reinstalls the software and calls it a day. The problem is not fixed. It is still happening.

After a week after this Dell tech repaired the system, now her computer displays an error every time she logs in that Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. We spend the next several months of either hearing nothing for weeks, to him then wanting to remotely access the computer just to say he can't see or find anything. Here begins the emails with the Dell technician. I've omitted names to protect the shameless.

Dell: How often are the errors popping up?
Client: This is the log I found with that error, I think prior to that it was deleted. Image omitted as it shows the errors listed above from event viewer. Shows the last 9-days of these errors.
Dell: How are you shutting the machine down? What is happening around those times?
Client: I went back and looked at the times, most are in the morning, right around when I start my computer up for the day. sometimes it is in sleep mode, sometimes I have to start it up from off. I get an error message for a force shut down when I turn it off, I said something to you and you said it was probably a program that was still running, but I can’t figure out how to find out what program is running. Has been happening for about 6-8 months now.
Dell: Do you have word open? Or outlook? Any thing in the bottom right in the hidden system try icons?
Client: No, I close everything that I’ve opened that day out. How can I figure out what is still open? I’ve done a task manager and it shows that everything is closed. At least last time I did that. The only things left running are the standard Dell crap-ware and our Agent (with AV, etc.)
Dell: The force close has happened to me as well, some times that happens. As for the powermanager errors you can try and reset the power settings to default and see if that helps. There is always going to be some thing in device manager that does not mean there is some thing wrong with your system or computer. If you are still concerned going forward we may need to look at doing a reinstall of the operating system We've done the reset of the powermanager settings, given they were already at their default

I would greatly like to hear some opinions on what our next move should be. Personally I'm leaning to "let me speak to your supervisor or a more senior technician". Opinions?

If this has been happening for a while and Dell couldn't fix the issue remotely, then I would escalate the issue. Though Latitudes usually have next business day on-site warranty, and if the on-site can't fix it, they replace the machine. At least that's what happened with my client, but that was an Optiplex desktop.

Dell has previously continued to sell products that have a known manufacturing flaw. That is NOT opinion, but I am too lazy to search for a link to prove the statement. Suffice to say the behavior is something that is in their corporate wheel house. Either a brand new, flaw free, replacement or a complete and total refund. Class action would be the phrase to use with a supervisor.

Escalate it. I worked on a machine where they kept having issues. About the 3rd time the machine was back after dell had replaced the wifi card and motherboard, they replaced it. I would keep pestering them until you get a supervisor who will exchange it.

Back