PC Won't boot

The only thing left to do is try to run the dell diagnostics on it, change it from NVME to something else like AHCI. If it does not work it is a bad Motherboard.

Another option is to find a non-destructive hard drive or SSD write test utility and connect the drive into another computer.

You can also plug the RAM modules into another laptop and run a memory tester if you want to double-verify.

Once you are sure it is the motherboard, 95% that is what's wrong, get a quote direct from Dell. Put it on an invoice with very little if any markup because it will be expensive, put in your estimated labor keeping in mind the total diagnostic and repair should be 1.5 to 2 hours for this machine if you want Costco to pay it. It should NOT have taken longer than a half hour to 45 minutes to diagnose this anyway. Offer a 1 year warranty on labor only putting in there that the manufacturer provides any warranty on parts. Where it gets bad is that you said Bitlocker is in use, and I doubt the customer has the key backed up. Being the TPM is on the old motherboard it is going to be neat when it prompts you for Bitlocker recovery and you get to explain to the customer all data is lost if they don't have that key. You probably want to put that in the invoice to be up-front.

Now the problem is the motherboard is probably more than $200 likely $250... If you want to get $150 to $200 in labor that pushes the repair to over $400. Good luck when they pro-rate the warranty out through Costco and depreciate the laptop and offer the customer a buy-out of $250 to $300 on the entire laptop.

At any rate, you would want to quote slightly low to Costco then quote a Windows Install separately. Thankfully, Windows 10 is very easy to install drivers, updates, and all, so 1 hour labor customer pay probably takes care of it.

At this point the question is what happens if the customer gets a buy-out. The answer is the customer owes you for an hour of diagnostics, or they do not pay and forfeit the machine. I guess you could part it out on eBay after a while.

Also have fun with RMA. Advise client a new system would be the best option.
Purchase a new system or build it yourself - not DELL. Advise client in regards to cost vs continuation on working on this.

Then get the POS Mobo back from DELL 2 years later and you can resell that once repaired and working. As may be just something else and you will send yourself crazy trying to pinpoint an issue. Wasting time and money.

I rather building systems myself to clients needs, I know what is in the system and the onus is on myself warranty wise. I have never had any warranty issues with my system builds.

download (2).jpg

Last edited:
The only thing left to do is try to run the dell diagnostics on it, change it from NVME to something else like AHCI. If it does not work it is a bad Motherboard.

Another option is to find a non-destructive hard drive or SSD write test utility and connect the drive into another computer.

You can also plug the RAM modules into another laptop and run a memory tester if you want to double-verify.

Once you are sure it is the motherboard, 95% that is what's wrong, get a quote direct from Dell. Put it on an invoice with very little if any markup because it will be expensive, put in your estimated labor keeping in mind the total diagnostic and repair should be 1.5 to 2 hours for this machine if you want Costco to pay it. It should NOT have taken longer than a half hour to 45 minutes to diagnose this anyway. Offer a 1 year warranty on labor only putting in there that the manufacturer provides any warranty on parts. Where it gets bad is that you said Bitlocker is in use, and I doubt the customer has the key backed up. Being the TPM is on the old motherboard it is going to be neat when it prompts you for Bitlocker recovery and you get to explain to the customer all data is lost if they don't have that key. You probably want to put that in the invoice to be up-front.

Now the problem is the motherboard is probably more than $200 likely $250... If you want to get $150 to $200 in labor that pushes the repair to over $400. Good luck when they pro-rate the warranty out through Costco and depreciate the laptop and offer the customer a buy-out of $250 to $300 on the entire laptop.

At any rate, you would want to quote slightly low to Costco then quote a Windows Install separately. Thankfully, Windows 10 is very easy to install drivers, updates, and all, so 1 hour labor customer pay probably takes care of it.

At this point the question is what happens if the customer gets a buy-out. The answer is the customer owes you for an hour of diagnostics, or they do not pay and forfeit the machine. I guess you could part it out on eBay after a while.

Sadly, my hardware diagnostic skills are not super wonderful, so it's taken a lot more than 45 minutes to diagnose this. While not billable time, I always consider this as on-the-job education.

Dell price on motherboard is $1250 (that's not a typo) and not in stock, and no expected availability date. Dell suggested that I call back in a week or two to see if/when the board is/will be available. Customer has been updated with this, and I expect he knows he is going to have to purchase a new machine.

The customer provided the BitLocker key, it works with the HDD, waiting on an enclosure for the NVMe drive to give it a try.

Just switch gears to Bitlocker data recovery and suggest a new laptop... if you are adventurous, consider scavenging eBay for a motherboard, but you had better get it for a good price, ensure you can change the service tag electronically stored, and test the crud out of it. Then you had best cross your fingers for about a year nothing happens.

If it was me, I would NOT fix this laptop and cut my losses.

All the posters seem to think this is a laptop. Is it a laptop or AIO?

What is the service tag?
Dell Inspiron 7790 AIO, I posted the board schematics. Perused Fleabay and found this - Then you need to add time to rebuild as AIO are a pain in arse. Then you will need install OS - updates then stress test it - adding more hours.

Found this via Googlefu - may help or may be complete bollocks anyhoo.

DELL DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION_ERRORS

1.jpg

Last edited:
Dell Inspiron 7790 AIO, I posted the board schematics. Perused Fleabay and found this - Then you need to add time to rebuild as AIO are a pain in arse. Then you will need install OS - updates then stress test it - adding more hours.

Found this via Googlefu - may help or may be complete bollocks anyhoo.

DELL DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION_ERRORS

View attachment 12407
Over the course of 3 or 4 phone calls with Dell, I kept getting different part numbers that "will fit" the machine. But when I prompted the Dell rep to look further, they found that it really doesn't work in this 7790. I decided to go with the original part number board that is in the machine, and that's the $1250 board mentioned above. This last time I called Dell and asked about it and it's now in stock. Have sent my offical estimate to the customer and now I wait.

Mahalo for all the assistance!

Harry Z

Aloha everyone. Customer brought me a Dell Inspiron 7790 AIO that will not boot. He's looking for an estimate to send to Dell for warranty coverage (not sure why Dell isn't fixing this, but whatever, I need the business).
Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry Z
Older thread here, but we're both on Oahu. Are you making house calls and office visits yet? If so maybe you can make a call for me now and then. I end up with long-term substitute teaching gigs when my teacher friends have babies.

Rick

Aloha Rick. Not really making house calls at this time. Although I got roped into going to a business customer as their internet was down. Found a real big mess and had to get Lisa involved to work on their Outlook situation, and I'm there a couple times a week while upgrading machines. But, other than, that I'm having people bring their machines to me. Feel free to send email to harryz@haoleboycomputers.com or call me at 808-377-4222.

Harry Z

Aloha Rick. Not really making house calls at this time. Although I got roped into going to a business customer as their internet was down. Found a real big mess and had to get Lisa involved to work on their Outlook situation, and I'm there a couple times a week while upgrading machines. But, other than, that I'm having people bring their machines to me. Feel free to send email to harryz@haoleboycomputers.com or call me at 808-377-4222.

Harry Z
Thank you for letting me know.
Rick
computerhelp808@gmail.com
808.224.1870 (Cell so you can text)

Back