Online backup

Fred Claus

Reaction score
I've probably asked this question before, but I can't remember. When it comes to residential clients, what do you think of for backup? Right now most of my clients are using Backblaze or iDrive for backup. One flat price for a fixed amount of space. The RMM that I use also offers backup, but it's one price for their tool, and then I have to buy storage at something like Wasabi or AWS. What are your thoughts on this?

Backup through my RMM

1 TB of storage
Backup tool : 6.00 a month
Storage on Wasabi: 6.99 a month
Total monthly 12.99

iDrive360 Backup

1TB of storage
License: 20.00 a year
Storage on iDrive360: Free
Total YEARLY cost: 20.00

These are my costs. Would there be any advantage to using the backup on my RMM and paying 124.00 more a year over iDrive?

One pane of glass. For the iDrive, you may want to add in the cost of something like MSP360 so you have central management of the backups if that is something you want.

One pane of glass. For the iDrive, you may want to add in the cost of something like MSP360 so you have central management of the backups if that is something you want.
Funny you mention MSP360. That is the RMM that I was referring to in the original post. IDrive360 claims to have one pain of glass and unlimited storage. With 360, you have to buy five licenses to start then you can add them on as you need them. Backblaze has raised their price to 99.00 a year.

$100 / year is M365 Family, which includes 6 humans worth of 1TB of OneDrive space.

Use of the OneDrive app everywhere holds all the data off prem, and makes things accessible everywhere, and while it isn't a backup also has an up to 30 day roll back feature to handle crypto's.

Downside? cannot be resold...

$100 / year is M365 Family, which includes 6 humans worth of 1TB of OneDrive space.

Use of the OneDrive app everywhere holds all the data off prem, and makes things accessible everywhere, and while it isn't a backup also has an up to 30 day roll back feature to handle crypto's.

Downside? cannot be resold...
Onedrive also is online storage not backup.

Also you might as well have a BackBlaze account to utilize their bucket system for additional low cost storage options.

cannot be resold...
It can be resold, 365 Personal/Family retail packs and ESD keys can be purchased from distributors for resale, and can be used to renew. The downsides are not much margin, easy for end user to renew direct from MS, no RMM ability (that I know of).

Onedrive also is online storage not backup.

Well, yes and no. If memory serves, Microsoft ensures triple redundancy for OneDrive. That means that three separate data centers, almost certain to be at great distance from each other, would have to have all data destroyed simultaneously for an actual data loss to occur.

That's better backup than any of my home users not using OneDrive get, and better than on-site backup of any kind.

It can be resold, 365 Personal/Family retail packs and ESD keys can be purchased from distributors for resale, and can be used to renew. The downsides are not much margin, easy for end user to renew direct from MS, no RMM ability (that I know of).
Sorry, yes you're right you can do that in Australia. We cannot do that in the States.

@Fred Claus Thanks for not reading my comment...

Sorry, yes you're right you can do that in Australia. We cannot do that in the States.
Really? So in the US, is it only chain stores that have access to 365 Personal/Family for resale? Odd... And no ESD license resale either? I get these products from the larger distributors like Ingram Micro and Synnex in Australia.

Really? So in the US, is it only chain stores that have access to 365 Personal/Family for resale? Odd... And no ESD license resale either? I get these products from the larger distributors like Ingram Micro and Synnex in Australia.
That is correct sir... it's bloody annoying.

We use Datto Continuity for workstations.
We used to use iDrive. Dirt cheap, there was a time where you could purchase a huge "bucket"....for some annual super low price that was equiv to like 3 cents per gig.

And our backups start at $25/month per computer. So that was good profit.
But, we prefer Dattos Continuity, has a cost of like 6 or 7 per month, we still resell at 25, but it works so dang well, fast, good support if needed (which you really don't), and...good full image restore.

Well, I've had a look at iDrive360 to just test things out. I did a 7 day free trial and hooked it up to my computer. It sucks. After about 16 hours of backing up, it comes back "failed". There are 20,000 files missing worth about 146gb of storage. THis is not good. THis is the third time I've looked into this product, and it does the same thing to me each time. Even when the tech was trying to tell me I was setting it up wrong. They set it up for me this time and it did the same thing.

I guess you do get what you pay for. $20.00 for unlimited storage vs $112.00 there has to be something wrong there and sure enough there was. I think I might just keep my residential clients on Backblaze for 99.00 a year and not worry about it unless I have a business client who needs backup.

How Continuity compare to Cove (N-Able, Solarwinds)?
Nearly infinitely better...we had several dozen Cove (and pre-cove) backups...both servers, and workstations. I had to do a restore once....was one of the most painful, horrific experiences in my life. We had bent to our clients and decided to offer a "budget backup" for servers...and went with the SW product.

With Datto, I have had to restore servers, and run the "biz continuity" thing...quite a few times over the years...and it showed how it such a superior product it was, well worth the expense. So...while I've been busy ditching servers as I move clients to all 365 and SaaS apps...if I take on new clients with on prem servers, the only backup I'll offer is Datto. And for workstations...same.

Side note, one of my colleagues did get pretty heavily into Veeame...and it looks like a product that is maturing fairly well. I have not dug into it though.

Nearly infinitely better...we had several dozen Cove (and pre-cove) backups...both servers, and workstations. I had to do a restore once....was one of the most painful, horrific experiences in my life. We had bent to our clients and decided to offer a "budget backup" for servers...and went with the SW product.

With Datto, I have had to restore servers, and run the "biz continuity" thing...quite a few times over the years...and it showed how it such a superior product it was, well worth the expense. So...while I've been busy ditching servers as I move clients to all 365 and SaaS apps...if I take on new clients with on prem servers, the only backup I'll offer is Datto. And for workstations...same.

Side note, one of my colleagues did get pretty heavily into Veeame...and it looks like a product that is maturing fairly well. I have not dug into it though.
What can you tell me about cloud continuity from Datto? I had a bad experience with them a couple years ago. A church I was working for used their service until they went someplace else. I never got an invoice from Datto, and now the church is getting "past Due" emails for invoices they were never sent. I like the program when I used it on their machines. Do you happen to have a Datto Rep that could reach out to me?

What can you tell me about cloud continuity from Datto? I had a bad experience with them a couple years ago. A church I was working for used their service until they went someplace else. I never got an invoice from Datto, and now the church is getting "past Due" emails for invoices they were never sent. I like the program when I used it on their machines. Do you happen to have a Datto Rep that could reach out to me?

I had been a Datto partner since their first year out, loved their products and support.
And when Kaseya took over, heard from other IT peeps how their billing turned into a night mare...we've been pretty good throughout the changeover.

The Datto PC Backup

I had been a Datto partner since their first year out, loved their products and support.
And when Kaseya took over, heard from other IT peeps how their billing turned into a night mare...we've been pretty good throughout the changeover.

The Datto PC Backup
I just requested a call back. I wonder if they are different now.

Back