Office 2019 Standard Volume License Activation

JoelM

Reaction score
I have a office with 10 copies of MS Office 2019 Standard purchased on volume license from Microsoft. We know they are legal copies. They have been installed for about 1.5 years. One machine has now decided it is not licensed and throws up the following message:

This copy of Microsoft Office is designed for corporate or institutional customers. connect your computer to your corporate network to complete activation.

They were all installed exactly the same way all using the MAK setup. Any ideas?

There are only so many MAK activations on a key, you can see the progress in the Volume License Service center.

Eventually, you're required to deploy KMS.

If you don't have access to the account that has the volume licenses on it, on the above website as listed... whooops... not legal.

They
There are only so many MAK activations on a key, you can see the progress in the Volume License Service center.

Eventually, you're required to deploy KMS.

If you don't have access to the account that has the volume licenses on it, on the above website as listed... whooops... not legal.
It shows 13/50 activations so this should not be the issue.

Not if they already paid for the VL a year and a half ago. Money is already spent and MS will support it until 2025. Why would they throw the money away now. I'll change them to M365 once it's not supported.
Volume licenses are only good for 2 years. 3 years if it’s an open license. So it’s gonna expire in 6 months OR it’s already expired and this is why it’s not activating.

Not if they already paid for the VL a year and a half ago. Money is already spent and MS will support it until 2025. Why would they throw the money away now. I'll change them to M365 once it's not supported.
Because the time it takes to manage it is vastly lower. Not to mention X seats on X devices is a heck of a lot more limiting than X seats on X+5 devices, with unlimited cloud access, and versioned storage.

Also, should not... but I guarantee you it is. And now you get to open a ticket with Microsoft.

Which is also easier to do via the M365 admin UI.

Back