Office 2019 volume licensing

HCHTech

Reaction score
I have two church customers that use volume licensing (yea Techsoup!) for Office. I was setting up a new laptop last night and figured I might as well put Office 2019 on.

Turns out that MS is finally starting to crack down on the rampant misuse of volume keys - you can't get an MSI installer anymore. There is some dance you have to do with setting up a license server & such. I'll admit I chickened out and just loaded 2016.

Has anyone gone through this yet? Is there a shortcut I'm missing for one-off installs like this? Maybe a walk-through someone has created?

Office 2019 will not run along side Office 2016 or Office 365. So if you want to install and work on Office 2019, you have to uninstall all previous Office versions including Office 365.

Microsoft has removed the MSI installer from Office 2019. Only Click-to-Run installer is available. According to Microsoft:

With Office 2019, we’re moving the on-premises versions of Office to C2R to reduce costs and improve security. The advantages of C2R include predictable monthly security updates, up-to-date apps on installation, reduced network consumption through Windows 10 download optimization technology, and an easy upgrade path to Office 365 ProPlus.

In my opinion, Microsoft is slowly moving towards the subscription only model and may remove the perpetual license altogether.

Back