Non-tabbed Notepad in fresh Win11 Install - What's up with that?

britechguy

Reaction score
An interesting development this evening is that Notepad in by brand-spankin' new Windows 11 instance is the non-tabbed version. It shows version number 11.2112.32.0 while the Notepad on the Win11 machine I'm typing from now is the tabbed version and is number 11.2305.18.0.

I didn't think that the non-tabbed version existed in any Windows 11 these days, and the ISO I used is barely more than a month old, and I know I've had the tabbed version for much longer than 1 month. Weird.

I gave up on Notepad years ago when I discovered Notepad++ for that reason - tabs. On top of that ++ auto saves on the fly.

Well, as much as I like notepad++ for some things, for quick and dirty text notes I still prefer Notepad. But I really prefer Notepad as I have it on this machine, which includes tabs where multiple files can be open at once.

[Aside: I also need to check whether an update is needed to PowerShell and Terminal, too. It's all this niggling stuff that drives me crazy with setting up a new machine from scratch. It's also why, after having done so, I want a full system image to restore from. Doing all this crap over again by hand after a nuke & pave is not my thing. I'd rather restore to my last backed-up fully functional and configured version.]

Well, the tabbed version "mystically appeared" during the overnight hours. I'm presuming I'm going through Windows 11 snagging all the very latest updates (most of which I would have thought I'd have had already bundled in that ISO, but not so).

@nlinecomputers

While I'm aware of that option, it's not the one I've exercised on any machine I own. It just "showed up on its own."

I'm now working on the second Gram 16 which arrived this afternoon. I just did a clean reinstall of Win11 a couple of hours ago, and it's still showing non-tabbed Notepad. I'll see what happens by later tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm actually shocked at not only how light, yet stiff, these machines are but also how "crisp" the display is.

@nlinecomputers

While I'm aware of that option, it's not the one I've exercised on any machine I own. It just "showed up on its own."

I'm now working on the second Gram 16 which arrived this afternoon. I just did a clean reinstall of Win11 a couple of hours ago, and it's still showing non-tabbed Notepad. I'll see what happens by later tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm actually shocked at not only how light, yet stiff, these machines are but also how "crisp" the display is.
The store pushes updates. What the schedule is, your guess is as good as mine. The store is only source for the update as I understand it.

The tabbed version is an appx package delivered via the MS Store. This happens on boot, and a few other times, but it can be annoyingly slow sometimes. Winget shows up the same way, drives me nuts.

I use VSCode as my text editor these days.

Back