No Apparent Life

Mike McCall

Reaction score
HP Envy x360 m Convertible imitating proverbial doornail.

Initially, the machine's power button would light when pressed, then go off, then on again and finally quit altogether. No POST, beep codes, nothing on the screen, zip. Apparently this is a known issue with these and a hard reset is suggested, which I did. Removed the battery, held the power button down for about 30-seconds, connected the charger (which appears to work as the charging light comes on), and nothing. The power button doesn't light up now. Not finding much beyond a hard reset to try from here. Any suggestions?

Found the center pin on the charger is bent and spins, so it's broken. This makes the light on the power button make sense if the battery is dead. I don't have anything that will fit it so the customer is getting a replacement as I type this. I'm betting the charger is the issue in this case even though it turns on the charging light on the laptop.

Yeah, found it, thanks, @Markverhyden.

The Power Jack cable and Power Button are separate in this model, though they're next to each other when installed. The light on the jack comes on, but the light on the power button is sporadic, making me think it may be the problem. I get that it could be the system board and I don't want to just start swapping parts. Is there a way I can isolate the button as the problem or am I stuck replacing the power button, and if that's not it then it's the board?

The light on the button is controlled by the MB, not the button. You can short the sides/legs of the button with metal tweezers to effectively bypass the button.

The light on the button is controlled by the MB, not the button. You can short the sides/legs of the button with metal tweezers to effectively bypass the button.
Thanks. No difference = dead board. HP apparently made 8 different boards for this laptop with an i7 and the ones I'm seeing don't look exactly like the one here. I'll have to pull the board I guess to get the part number to get a price for a replacement.

Scary thought: I hope this isn't one which automatically Bitlocker's the drive.

If it's a M$ account I think it's pretty certain that it's BL'ed.

I have never, and I do mean never, seen BitLocker enabled by default regardless of the account type being used. And I actively discourage my clients from doing drive encryption unless they really, really need it (which is almost no one).

The craze for encrypting anything and everything, with no concern for the difficulties it often ends up causing the end user, needs to be as strongly discouraged as is possible.

I have never, and I do mean never, seen BitLocker enabled by default regardless of the account type being used. And I actively discourage my clients from doing drive encryption unless they really, really need it (which is almost no one).

The craze for encrypting anything and everything, with no concern for the difficulties it often ends up causing the end user, needs to be as strongly discouraged as is possible.
I have seen it and it's scary. The EU has no idea what it means. I had a customer a while back with one. I got lucky and she had printed the keys and was actually able to find them.

I have seen it and it's scary. The EU has no idea what it means. I had a customer a while back with one. I got lucky and she had printed the keys and was actually able to find them.

Most people who are not out to hide something criminal have no idea what it entails. (And I hasten to add that encryption has many valid reasons for use that are not criminal in nature.)

The craze extends to smartphones, too, and there are plenty of examples of tragic failure with zero chance of recovery afterward.

It doesn't take much at all to lose it all secondary to having encrypted that which does not need to be encrypted.

Most people who are not out to hide something criminal have no idea what it entails. (And I hasten to add that encryption has many valid reasons for use that are not criminal in nature.)

The craze extends to smartphones, too, and there are plenty of examples of tragic failure with zero chance of recovery afterward.

It doesn't take much at all to lose it all secondary to having encrypted that which does not need to be encrypted.

Of course there's those who BL the drive, don't print the keys, and forget they've done it.

I've not seen auto bit locker with a M$ account I never use M$ accounts with customers. But I've seen multiple comments to that effect. But they still need to be W10 Pro or Enterprise

From - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...tlocker-device-encryption-overview-windows-10

Also this - https://www.howtogeek.com/234826/how-to-enable-full-disk-encryption-on-windows-10/

Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 8.42.04 PM.png

It probably has a TPM chip. Wonder if there is any encryption options in BIOS? SATA should just show up. Try mounting it directly to the SATA bus on a desktop.

Mike, did you reset the CMOS? Just remove all power input and remove the CMOS battery and short it's terminals on the MB, then re-install it. Probably the MB but it would be a shame to replace the MB if it's just a BIOS freeze/curruption.

Back