New xC0000135 BSOD

Crgky127

Reaction score
Same initial symptoms as the AVG update a while back; Win7x64, boot loop, disable auto reboot to get BSOD “C0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing”. Except no AVG.

This machine in particular does have SAS, but it didn't happen right after a scan from SAS. Also has MSE. It also happened on the same day as 2 critical Windows updates (March 14th), but that could be a coincidence. I'm thinking either MSE driver removal, or a shutdown/hibernate during Windows Update.

Normal mode the windows 7 colored balls turn into a window, but that's as far as it gets. Safe mode gets to classpnp.sys. As for the recovery options, system restore doesn't work, chkdsk and Windows Memory Diagnostic found nothing. SFC (with the offdir) says another repair is pending. Bootsect doesn't work, replacing several files in system32 doesn't work. The registry entry for the AVG trojan (consrv vs winsrv) was already correct.

If anybody else has seen this, even if you don't have a solution, please post whether it was right after an update and which AVs are on there. Maybe we can find a common thread. Keep an eye out.

If you have any ideas, let me know, though I will have to N+P if time runs out. They have data backed up, but not an image, so that will be a bunch of software installs and configs to go through, so a miracle would be appreciated.

Back