New Motherboard and Processor

JJsMom

Reaction score
Hey everyone let me get your opinion on something. I installed a new motherboard and processor for a friend and when I went to hook the HD back up and it got into Windows the screen froze up and actually looked like a video problem. My questions is, Should I reinstall Windows XP Pro? I am guessing that I should since the mobo changed. Thanks :confused:

Yes.

Simple Answer. When it comes around to the activation you will probably have to call to get activated but that is really not a bad process. It is easier than getting an actual insurance agent on the phone.

breadtrk is correct. 9 times out of 10 you will need to reinstall Windows when changing the motherboard, but you can get lucky every now and then if the new motherboard uses the same chipset/hard disk controller.

If you still have access to the original motherboard and it still works, there are several things you can can do to improve your chances of windows working on a new board. Namely uninstalling the vga/chipset/ide drivers and controllers before shutting windows down and swapping the board. I'll try and find a link that explains it in greater detail.

When you do the re-install of Windows, you can try and run the repair windows option. I do not mean using the recovery console, but part of the install. It will re-copy the files and run through the initial setup again. You could also try booting in safe mode and removing a ton of devices (video, mouse, system devices, ide controller, etc). Then re-boot and let Windows find the new devices.

Thanks guys, I figured I would have to reinstall. I was praying that because I used another Asus mobo that I would luck up and not have to reinstall. Darn the luck huh? Thanks again, you guys rule, as my son would say. :p

Ok guys, here is an update. Reinstalled the MS XP Pro and the stupid computer froze the exact same way. The only thing I can assume is that the hard drive is somehow corrupted. I tried a repair and a reinstall afterwards. None of what I have tried worked so I am figuring to just get another hard drive. May as well say that I rebuilt a brand new computer. Oh well I learned something. :confused:

Use the XP Pro disc and boot into it and hit r for recovery console. Once in the console type: chkdsk /p

Let it run all the way through. If it says it is fixing errors or if it says it is performing additional checks then when it is done reboot and do it all over again. Do it until it runs without the errors or additional checks (sometimes 2 or 3 times.) If it is a filesystem error that will clean it up for you.

ps: the reason for the reboot in-between is that sometimes it wont find errors until its is unmounted and remounted again, so the reboot forces that.

I forgot to mention that XP Pro did partially installed but I can't get pass a certain point in the installation process. How do I restart the installation process? Wow this is big lesson, it makes me wonder if I am really ready for the computer repair business. Thanks for the help, I will try what you said. :eek:

If the install was partially done and you booted it should just restart the install and ask you to put the install disc back in.

I will tell you this I am grateful for this site. I also know now why we would charge the price we do for our services. Sometimes in the computer repair business, things are not that simple and obvious. thank you all so much, I will let you know how it goes. :D

:D Ok, Ok I had to cheat a bit. I took out the hard drive and put it in a system I build myself. I was able to load the XP on it and now I will take apart the other system and place all of the parts back into the computer. A valuable lesson learned here. Once you have eliminated everything, try the other obvious thing. I am glad I have an extra computer. Thanks again guys, I will definitely use what I have learned. :eek:

Back