New Email Scam?

Canadian Tech

Reaction score
Had a client call me in a bit of a panic telling me she received this email from McAfee stating that she may have a virus. I asked her to forward the email on to me as I suspected that it was a scam. The minute I looked at the email I realized it was in fact a scam. The McAfee Support had a hyperlink on it so I hovered my cursor over it and it revealed an email address of mcafeecyber.protection@gmail.com. Here's the email...

Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 3:37 PM

To: undisclosed-recipients:

Subject: McAfee ALERT

This Email is in regard to your computer network security from cyber attacks that are hitting USA by the name (RANSOMWARE)

YOUR IP ADDRESS IS- 172-229-28-185

We have sent you this e-mail because we have strong reason to believe, yours this e-mail account has been used by someone else. In order to prevent any fraudulent activity from preventing are required to open an investigation into this matter. We've locked yours this e-mail account, and you have 36 hours to verify it, or we have the right to terminate it.

To confirm your identity with us follow the given steps thoroughly:

We guide you some instructions to be followed so you can witness yourself that what and how does it happened.

Press window key (flag key)on the bottom left-hand side down to your keyboard along with the key R (letter R) Both the keys should be pressed together.

Now you have run box on your screen at the bottom left corner.

Erase, if something is written in the box and type there in the box "cmd" and press enter

Now you have a black box on your screen, Type in the box "netstat" and press enter. Now you can see bunch of IP addresses

Local addresses are your local network through which you communicate with others.

Foreign addresses are the addresses of some foreign people who were looking to get into your network.

Now if you see the third row which is "state", there is current status of foreign people whether they were in waiting position to get connected to your network or whether they have successfully established connection already with your network.

If you find the infection or foreign IP addresses in your network, please call us at our helpline number. Our technical department will review that problem immediately so that there would not be any loss of your confidential details like your chat conversations, browsing adult sites, your personal photographs, videos, office documents etc.

McAfee SUPPORT

Toll-free-- 866-315-0512

Now you have a black box on your screen, Type in the box "netstat" and press enter. Now you can see bunch of IP addresses
Local addresses are your local network through which you communicate with others.
Foreign addresses are the addresses of some foreign people who were looking to get into your network.

Hilarious!
Too bad the common user has no clue what that info actually means.

Back