Wide-Spread Yahoo/AOL/SBCGlobal issue? (O365)

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
I'm getting reports since Friday from multiple clients on multiple tenants, some even Godaddy hosted where emails sent to Yahoo, AOL, and SBC Global are bouncing back with various error codes.

p-impin001.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net rejected your message to the following email addresses:

Your message was rejected by the recipient email server. Please check the recipient's email address and try resending your message, or contact the recipient directly. For more tips to help resolve this issue, see DSN code 5.1.0 in Exchange Online - Office 365. If the problem continues, contact your email admin.

p-impin001.msg.pkvw.co.charter.net gave this error:
40.107.94.131 blocked. Please see https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/understanding-email-error-codes for more information. AUP#In-1300

Any similar experience?

One of the clients having this issue has all records in place ... dkim, dmarc, SPF

The other one I'm not sure I will need to look further into it.

EDIT: I know the above bounce back is from charter but it seems to be a yahoo issue.

Last edited:
Just added DKIM and DMARC records, SPF already in place ... for a client trying to sent to Yahoo and still bounced back

Yes...been chatter in various online tech groups for ...I saw one last week, some said been going on for a few weeks but really bad last week.
Anyways, summary was...yapoop/aohell/att (all the same servers)....have been blocking some of the outbound Microsoft IPs. Specifically the ones in VA.
Microsoft has had the notifications in the 365 tenants (status) section for a bit.

Not related to the DKIM stuff if those were not in place (else..Gmail would be doing it even more).

Oddly enough, I have only had 1x complaint from one of my clients over the weekend, an unmanaged client..also uses GoDaddy (ugh) 365...so just on Standard licensing. He's a Realtor so has to deal with lots of Yahoo/AOL/ATT customers.

None of my other clients have complained...and they're all on 365 Biz Prem. So I'm wondering if BizPrem has different outbound servers (with different IPs)..than the lower licenses.

I'm getting reports since Friday from multiple clients on multiple tenants, some even Godaddy hosted where emails sent to Yahoo, AOL, and SBC Global are bouncing back with various error codes.

Any similar experience?

One of the clients having this issue has all records in place ... dkim, dmarc, SPF

The other one I'm not sure I will need to look further into it.

EDIT: I know the above bounce back is from charter but it seems to be a yahoo issue.
I had a client call me today with a bounce issue. I didn't ask him who the host of the recipient email was though. I wonder if it was this issue he was having.

I've had a handful of reports since Thursday, mostly for Verizon/AOL accounts. Told them to switch to Gmail or something other than [garbage]

I get calls about every other day now with this Yahoo issue. Everyone has different records, some with GoDaddy have the basic none option, some need the exact records GoDaddy offers and some need even more.

Yeah, it's tricky sometimes. I'm seeing guys in ASCII having more issues, so this might even require more than just a regular DMARC update.

This issue here is separate from the "lack of SPF/DKIM/DMARC" issue. Enforcement of the SPF/DKIM/DMARC started in Feb and applies to "bulk senders" that send > 5000 messages a day into Yahoo or Google servers. Individual email/small volume senders should not be affected by this (see following links from the sources)

You may run into some clients where...DNS records for their tenants were lazily set up and perhaps are missing DKIM and DMARC records, and of course if you do run into those...you should complete the job that was not properly done before and get their DKIM and DMARC done....and check to see that SPF was configured properly. And go find the person who set it up and smack them across their face with a wet trout and remove their IT hat forever so they change careers.

However, this big "being blocked" issue that mostly started mid/end of last week, is the inbound Yapoop servers totally refusing email from a certain pool of Microsoft outbound servers....from what we've seen, mostly from a pool of IPs located in Virginia data centers. Regardless of if the senders domain has proper DNS records, or not. It's not consistent...as, of course......your departing email can leave various outbound Microsoft servers...so it can come from different IPs from time to time.

Microsoft put the notifications in their health status page a few weeks ago, showing they're aware of the issue, and...supposedly working on it to get all their IPs whitelisted off of Yapoops blocks. (yeah, right)
1710241113160.png

Back