Name/logo critique

annenap

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I'm famous for going down rabbit holes and subconsciously avoiding real tasks I need to focus on. After wasting hours trying to come up with a new company name and logo, I'm starting to suspect that I'm doing it again. Please tell me what you think of name and logo. The name is already registered and I paid for the logo years ago. The colors are easy enough to change. I am targeting residential repair out of my house.

Specific criticism and suggestions appreciated. Thanks very much.

tss_BLUE_600dpi-upd.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the drawing board for the logo.

Maybe same for company name, you'll have to provide us more details on what kind of business it will be and who is your target audience?
Thanks, I updated my original question with this info: I am targeting residential repair out of my house. Can you offer any specifics on your opinion?

Last edited:
Residential repair, well in my opinion I would aim for a logo thats more detailed or people friendly if that makes sense. You almost always want a more professional look to the text (which i'm terrible at so I always hire someone) and if you're going for a more generic name it should be more descriptive as to what you are doing. Tech support services llc sounds like you're a help desk that sells their services to companies....at least to me.

Edit: also "computer repair" is the king keyword for residential repair, just mentioning that in case you were thinking tech support services in the name was going to bring you residential repair.

Last edited:
Residential repair, well in my opinion I would aim for a logo thats more detailed or people friendly if that makes sense. You almost always want a more professional look to the text (which i'm terrible at so I always hire someone) and if you're going for a more generic name it should be more descriptive as to what you are doing. Tech support services llc sounds like you're a help desk that sells their services to companies....at least to me.

Edit: also "computer repair" is the king keyword for residential repair, just mentioning that in case you were thinking tech support services in the name was going to bring you residential repair.

I know what you mean and had initially given it a lot of thought. My logic is that if I say "repair" it doesn't intuitively include other services like setup, data transfer, backup, monitoring, wi-fi setup, etc. But switching to something more direct and concise would definitely have its benefits. What do you think about Tech NJ (I own technj.com)?

I know what you mean and had initially given it a lot of thought. My logic is that if I say "repair" it doesn't intuitively include other services like setup, data transfer, backup, monitoring, wi-fi setup, etc. But switching to something more direct and concise would definitely have its benefits. What do you think about Tech NJ (I own technj.com)?

I think you would still be at a disadvantage.

Edit: I mean you can make any name work it just wont be as easy. Check your competition, chances are high they chose more appropriate names for their business.

Are you going to be visiting homes? I wonder if having a more feminine name would help people feel more comfortable about home visits.

Last edited:
In NJ, I am required to put LLC on all advertisements and correspondence, but I can definitely make it less noticeable. Thanks

While that might be "technically" true, I don't think it has ever been applied to things like signage or logos. There are tens of thousands of LLCs, even large companies, who don't include the LLC in any of their advertising. Including the LLC in your business name really just relates to your entity name used in things like binding contracts or in correspondence with the government. You know, legal stuff.

The only real exception to this would be if your business name included something like your personal name and it could lead to confusion as to whether the advertisement was truly for the company or a personal service offered by the member where he'd be assuming personal liability. So Joe's Computer Services LLC should probably keep the LLC in for protection. But, a more generic company name where it's highly unlikely to be confused can probably omit it. Just be sure that it's included other places like your company's waivers, terms of service, or anything else you have the customer sign. That way it's on the books that they are dealing with an LLC company from a legal perspective.

If you want to cover all, you can always just register a DBA w/o the LLC so you don't have to use it at all.

Last edited:
My understanding is if it is a business LLC then yes, you do have to put LLC on the end of everything. My LLC is "Mr. Ingram's Computer Repair & Shoppe LLC"

I then went and filled out a DBA "doing business as" form (like $50) and I used the name "Mr. Ingram's Computer Repair & Shoppe"

I know several companies that will do:
LLC = "Kurtis' Fun Entertainment Place LLC"
DBA = "Roller Skating City"

I agree with Bryce on the cliparty feel.
It's abusive on the eyes.

I did mine one Friday evening.
Together_Final_BG.png
I made mine in a crazy high res so it works for banners/business cards/erry-thang.

The original image I stole off google was this:
23666763_10213709913399857_717898116_n.png

You can obviously see the relation to them, but I feel like I changed it enough that I can sleep at night, and I am happy with the result!

I would suggest making a post here with 8+ images on things you like/dislike.... Someone might be able to photoshop you a lil somethin somethin

We just did a logo for a client that was ALL over the map. We distilled it down to some major points and sent it to Vista Print for $109. They gave us 3 logos and 3 major changes on the selected logo, but in reality we heavily abused their "satisfaction is guaranteed" and probably ended up with something like 10 great logos to choose from.

We eventually steered the client to a good choice and charged them $600 for handling the backs and forths. Highly recommend this service and this approach.

Looks too cliparty to me. Hop on 99Designs and get a professional to design one for you.

We actually did an article about this many years ago:
https://www.technibble.com/how-to-get-a-killer-logo-and-business-card/

Alternatively, if funds are tight, there are great people on Fiverr.com

As technicians we love to do stuff ourselves, but we shouldnt. You are probably a great technician, but you arent a designer. Get a great designer to handle your logo.

Have a read/listen to this to get yourself in the right headspace for making the jump from having a technician mindset to a business owner mindset: https://www.technibble.com/think-like-a-business-owner-and-not-a-technician/

My understanding is if it is a business LLC then yes, you do have to put LLC on the end of everything. My LLC is "Mr. Ingram's Computer Repair & Shoppe LLC"

I then went and filled out a DBA "doing business as" form (like $50) and I used the name "Mr. Ingram's Computer Repair & Shoppe"

I know several companies that will do:
LLC = "Kurtis' Fun Entertainment Place LLC"
DBA = "Roller Skating City"

Yeah, it doesn't hurt to spend the extra $50 to DBA it. I'm sure a Lawyer will always tell you to do that because they like to cover all possible bases from a legal standpoint. In your case, having the name "Mr. Ingram" in the name it has a higher potential to be confused with you personally than a more generic name would. My company on the other hand "Data Medics" has virtually zero potential that a court would ever decide that a contracted service was agreed to by me personally rather than at the company level. I keep the LLC at the bottom of the website in the footer as well as on all paperwork my customers sign as well as in my TOS, disclaimers, etc. But I feel no need to put it in my logos as if someone might confuse that to be a personal service I'm offering outside of my LLC company.

That's why I said this before:
The only real exception to this would be if your business name included something like your personal name and it could lead to confusion as to whether the advertisement was truly for the company or a personal service offered by the member where he'd be assuming personal liability. So Joe's Computer Services LLC should probably keep the LLC in for protection. But, a more generic company name where it's highly unlikely to be confused can probably omit it. Just be sure that it's included other places like your company's waivers, terms of service, or anything else you have the customer sign. That way it's on the books that they are dealing with an LLC company from a legal perspective.

Thanks guys! After using up every bit of brain power I had trying to be creative, I called it a night. Today I gave in and signed up with 99 Designs.
During the process I came to realize all the factors that go into logo appeal like feminine/masculine, playful/serious, color, etc. Our personality should be a part of that as we want to attract customers who are attracted to our style as a service and business person. That's how to build good, lasting customer relationships. Interestingly, I realized that tech savvy men are definitely NOT my target audience, so I probably shouldn't be pitching to you (absolutely no offense - I'm chuckling as I type this).

What do you mean "its already registered"? If your wanting a dotcom, then yeah, but any other, there are plenty open.

As far as LLC goes, here in Texas, we don't "really" have to include the LLC, even though I am - there is a way around that. As with what @Mr. Ingram's Computer Repair & Shoppe did, I too have a DBA which does not include the LLC at the end, so I don't have to include the LLC anywhere on my sight, flyers, business cards, etc. This should also apply to you, especially since your a home based business.

On another note, you can use your DBA only with the LLC as a backup for legal issues if they arise. And get business insurance. I use Hiscox, great insurance and covered up to $1,000,000 and is really affordable. I pay just $150/yr.

I understand its NJ, but you should be able to put a logo on your website without the LLC and just put the LLC in the footer. This will satisfy their stipulation because technically, they don't say where it has to be or how many times it has to be, just that it has be listed "somewhere".

As far as the logo is concerned, its loud. Choose neutral colors and that font reminds me of techno. I went through 4 different logos before the one I have now. And the one now started out as a power button circle with a Y in it, then just a circle with a Y in it and then decided to warp it in photoshop and sectioning it off with colors. Or you can use Fivver or any other logo design company. Or hell, better yet, buy a logo design program. Dirt cheap and you own it and any design you make. I have the exact program and use it for for my clients when I design their websites.

Back