MSN.Com and Outlook 2010 - migrated account not configuring as Exchange

carmen617

Reaction score
Windows 10, older Dell XPS system. Client dropped it off for a bunch of niggling problems, one of which was that her Outlook 2010 no longer was syncing with her msn.com account. I had previously set her up using the Outlook Connector, and I figured no problem, her msn.com account has been migrated and I simply have to add the account in again as per this process:
https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/outlookcommigrationinfo.htm#outlook2010

MSN account has clearly been migrated (shows as Outlook Mail) but, when I try to add the account, it continues to look for the Outlook Connector software. I uninstalled the Outlook Connector software and it wants to download it again. I have tried creating a new Outlook profile, looked around at her settings on Outlook.com (nothing strange there) and searched for other people with same issue. Lots of people out there don't know they have to re-add the account, but can't find any migrated accounts that won't set up via exchange.

I can get her mail into Oulook using IMAP, but that doesn't sync her contacts. Anybody have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

I'd go into the registry and do some carving there if it's still trying to link to the Connector.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...onnector/946f538d-f9e9-4bee-89ee-4b0cd6f47729
I can uninstall the connector with no issues. The issue is that, when I go into account settings and try to add the account in, migrated accounts like this one are supposed to automatically set up as exchange accounts. Instead, it tells me I need to download and install the connector to add the account. The connector sets up a MAPI account, which will no longer sync after migration. I'm actually thinking the problem is at Microsoft's end - they messed up the migration somehow.

Understood. How long has it been since you did the conversion? I'd try it with a clean computer account as well just to be sure. But you are correct. Sometimes those conversions don't go so smoothly.

Understood. How long has it been since you did the conversion? I'd try it with a clean computer account as well just to be sure. But you are correct. Sometimes those conversions don't go so smoothly.
I didn't do the conversion - Microsoft did. They are upgrading all of their free email accounts to use full Exchange - msn.com, hotmail.com, outlook.com accounts will all be affected. They have been migrating the accounts on some sort of random schedule for the last few months, and it is expected to continue until some time in 2017. People who are using Outlook 2013 and 2016 don't have to set up their accounts again, but people with Outlook 2007 and 2010 have to remove the account and add it in again to switch from the Outlook Connector to Exchange. Apart from an easily ignored email from Microsoft, end users don't know it's happening until their email accounts stop syncing and just spew out error messages instead.

Outlook 2010 is supposed to work as long as it's fully up to date, which this client's version is. But it don't work. Thanks Microsoft!

In case anybody else runs into this issue with Outlook 2010, I solved it by repairing the Office 2010 installation and creating a new Outlook profile.

Back