Moving away from the home business

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been in business for about 8 years now. 4 years of that I was working a full time job at the same time, and the last 4 years I've been running and growing the business full time. I currently have a small building by my house that I work out of. It has served me well over these years, but as business has increased, my work space and storage space has decreased. I'm also having more and more clients come to the house, which is no longer optimal. I'm about 80% mobile, and the other 20% is people coming to me. I have a very large base of loyal clients, and spend nothing on advertising currently due to all the referrals and also people simply finding me on the first page of the organic search results.

So I've decided to make the big jump and move into a retail space. I've found a great location in my small town at a busy intersection, where several thousands of cars go through every day traveling between the larger towns. It's a 2400 sq ft detached building, with 6 offices and a large storage area and retail area. The rent is about half of what it would be per sq ft in town. While I hate the idea of having these monthly bills, I just know that I am to the point where I have to make this move if I want the business to grow anymore. I tossed around the idea of just getting some office space, but I don't believe that would be a good fit for me as I am desiring to generate a lot of walk-in business that I wasn't getting before. The computer repair traffic might not have a huge increase, but I'm thinking the phone repair traffic will.

I just want to hear others experiences of when they moved into retail space. What was it like? Did you see a dramatic increase in new clients and sales? Did it take awhile, or did you almost immediately start getting new clients? Did you do any kind of new advertising to coincide with opening the retail space?

Any stories, advice, or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Back