More HP g7 woes...no password, can't boot to CD or USB

katz

Reaction score
As the title says; more g7 issues.

After keyboard replacement on this beat up thing, I'm now greeted w/ a password prompt, of which the client assures me he never had a password for it. "It always boots right to the desktop..."

Yeah, how many times have we all heard that one? ;)

Anyway, I reset the BIOS to boot from CD/USB, and it still goes to the login screen. Tried pressing boot menu key on startup, still ignores that and goes directly to login. This is originally a Win 7 system, I think Win 8 is on here now.

Client says I can reinstall Windows if I want to, but even that is not an option at this point, since I cannot get any boot media to load.

What am I missing?

Edit - I should mention that there is no secure boot in the bios. Already checked thru those options.

Last edited:
If it's a local user password you can bypass it using software or break it with Trinity Rescue kit. I just had that last night.

As for the not booting external devices, check the BOIS. You may need to turn on Legacy mode in order for it to boot from a CD or flash drive.

Finally got this to work. After many attempts. the cd finally decided to spin up and I was able to use PC unlocker, which worked like a dream, like it always does. All good. Don't know why it still won't boot from usb, no matter if I change the bios or use a boot menu, still no go.

Anyway, doesn't matter at this point, as the cd did work and we're off and running.

As always, thanks for all the tips and suggestions! :)

I have seen many HPs come across my bench that won't boot from USB. I quit fighting them and just feed them a DVD and leave them alone for awhile. I don't like how slow a DVD install is but I have other things to work on while it grinds away.

Back