Microsoft to stop producing Windows versions

AndyM

Reaction score
Jerry Nixon, a Microsoft development executive, said in a conference speech this week that Windows 10 would be the "last version" of the dominant desktop software.

His comments were echoed by Microsoft which said it would update Windows in future in an "ongoing manner".

Instead of new stand-alone versions, Windows 10 would be improved in regular instalments, the firm said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32658340

Andy

Actually makes sense somewhat. Think about it like a Mac. OS X. But then they have all the sub versions, 10.3-10.9 etc.

MS has always used new versions for their primary revenue stream. I doubt they would change their strategy unless they saw a means to increase profits. Perhaps they've taken notes from the game industry and are moving toward some form of "in app purchases." This could be a reason they would "give" 10 as a "free" upgrade. Once you're on board you'll have little option but to purchase features or change OS's entirely. Captive audience, as it were.

Well it makes sense. Think of it.

Here is windows.

Oh you would like a word processor, that will be xyz. DVD Playback, play music? Oh you want to use it in an IT environment? Get the point. Give you the basic to get you there, then charge for every feature possible. Yep yep, sounds like open source programs like VLC, open office, and many others will have a nice long life :)

Microsoft has backpedaled from the phrases itself but the concept still holds. "Windows as a Service" Or Windows 365. Think subscription. That is where they want to steer this towards. Plus having an app store.

Either Windows as a subscription(in which case I hope linux explodes and blows them away), or they give you a free cut down windows basic enough to use the system and surf the web, then charge for every individual app and item you use.

Whatever Microsoft is smoking I hope they include it in the package with future versions.

I just installed the Windows 10 preview and while I get what they're trying to accomplish and why, it's not without a dark side. During the installation process they make it clear that you're giving up a considerable amount of privacy to gain full-featured functionality. Some of this may be due in part to our being beta users, but we will perpetually be beta users. At this point I'm skeptical about what one must give up in return for the use of the OS.

Edit: Spelling/grammar.

Last edited:
Running Windows 10 Pro (Insider Preview) x64
Looks and feels like a polished version of Windows 8.1

:D

Personally, I've never agreed with how much they charge for Office. Sometimes even O365 without the One Drive. But honestly, I wish they would do a subscription payment method but with a linux approach. One of the things I absolutely love about Linux is the STS and the LTS distributions. And I think if they used that deployment method, and either a one time charge for the OS or a subscription plan for both continued support and automatic transition from OS version to OS version, things would be a lot simpler. The OS is not going to be in the cloud, and even if you offer One Drive, it's probably not going to be much, and it wont be enough for most businesses feature wise. But it would still make sense to do a subscription payment style because of the continued support and the automatic upgrades. You could even choose to do a STS or LTS upgrade depending on which is released first, or a strictly LTS.

Personally, I would love and hate for my clients to make the switch to Linux. And for many of my business clients, I could easily make that happen with how everything is implemented. But they would rather keep Windows because it is still practically universal.

Back